Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

learning to drive.. limited budget etc

Options
  • 24-08-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I'm hoping just to get something small and cheap for now so at least I have a small car ready for when i have the full license...

I haven't started driving lessons yet but I'm also trying to save money for college plus the insurance which I know will be fairly high as Ill be on my own
    (parents don't drive)

I'm thinking either a nissan micra, corrolla fiat or something like that.

Can you get a decent car for around 600-800 or honestly would it be better waiting until I can save a grand or more up?

Does an old car (say 96/98 or whatever) mean insurance will go sky high too oor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

Learning to drive with a limited budget. Don't buy a car yet. They are expensive to run as well as buy. It will end up sitting around wasting your money until you are ready to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Stressica wrote: »
    I'm hoping just to get something small and cheap for now so at least I have a small car ready for when i have the full license...

I haven't started driving lessons yet but I'm also trying to save money for college plus the insurance which I know will be fairly high as Ill be on my own
    (parents don't drive)

I'm thinking either a nissan micra, corrolla fiat or something like that.

Can you get a decent car for around 600-800 or honestly would it be better waiting until I can save a grand or more up?

Does an old car (say 96/98 or whatever) mean insurance will go sky high too oor?

Lessons are expensive enough, if you don't have a chance to practice in between EDTs, you'll be spending twice as much. I just spent €2000 on lessons alone, and no car of my own.

Plus since your a learner, (I don't know if the rules have changed since 2012) but if you are driving without the instructor, you must have someone in the car with you that holds a 4+ year VALID FULL licence.

And the insurance goes up when your a learner, and when you've a older car.
    And have you thought about tax costs on an old car?? Do your research before even thinking about it.

Advertisement