Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No Claim Bonus (NCB)- lost after 2 Years being not with a Insurer ?

Options
  • 24-08-2014 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Guys,

i just recently came back to Ireland and tried to get out a new car insurance.
    I had over 8 Years No Claim Bonus but because i haven't had a policy within the last 2 years Allianz don´t want to accept my NCB.

Does anyone know an Insurance Company they would accept a gab of over 2 years ?

Thanks,

Airy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

airy wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

i just recently came back to Ireland and tried to get out a new car insurance.
    I had over 8 Years No Claim Bonus but because i haven't had a policy within the last 2 years Allianz don´t want to accept my NCB.

Does anyone know an Insurance Company they would accept a gab of over 2 years ?

Thanks,

Airy

Nope, not that I know of.
    Standard procedure across the industry that Ncb is only valid for 2 years after the end of the policy.
    A good broker might be able to do something for you, but I've yet to come across one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Not any that I know of Im afraid.
    Two years without a policy seems to be the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

How long is it since you have had a policy? I think some companies may extend the expiration period (by a year I have heard) if they were the last company that you were insured with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 airy

hm i talked last week to Allianz customer service (my previous insurer) and i had a policy for about 1 -2 years that finished Feb 2012. Now they said they won´t insure me anymore without NCB. Never had any claims with them....

Id say a broker would be your best bet so. They can often pull strings with insurers to get situations like this sorted. Its only about 6 months over the two year limit so somebody might be able to help you.

• Advertisement

ok thanks for that i will try that, do you know any good brokers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Avrom

I think its pretty shocking the insurance companies are allowed to do this. I wonder is there any basis in statistics for this. That someone with no claim, and a long experience, after a short gap suddenly become accident magnet. Or is it simply sharp practise because they are allowed to get away with it.

ok thanks for that i will try that, do you know any good brokers?

Where abouts are you? I have had good dealings in the past with McCormack Hooper Dolan in Clane, but Id say ring around a few and see what they can do for you.

Avrom wrote: »
    I think its pretty shocking the insurance companies are allowed to do this. I wonder is there any basis in statistics for this. That someone with no claim, and a long experience, after a short gap suddenly become accident magnet. Or is it simply sharp practise because they are allowed to get away with it.

I suppose the thinking is that a gap of two years NCB could equate to a gap of two years driving (there is no real way to know otherwise), so they see it as an increased risk?

In reality it is sharp practice.

Co. Carlow so i will contact tallow :) Just noticed that i´m a named driver on my friends car since Nov 2013 i wonder if that counts....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Co. Carlow so i will contact tallow :) Just noticed that i´m a named driver on my friends car since Nov 2013 i wonder if that counts....

Afraid not. The policy must have been in your own name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

goz83 wrote: »
    Afraid not. The policy must have been in your own name.

Some places used to give a discount no?

It's worth mentioning the named driver experience. It might not count for anything but it can't hurt. Especially as the time frame beyond the expiry is relatively short.

beauf wrote: »
    Some places used to give a discount no?

The general rule is that you must have taken out a policy in your own name for a full term (1 year) before allowing 2 years to pass without having begun a full term policy in your own name. So, it is very unlikely that being a named driver on another policy before the 2 year expiry would negate the general rule, but I know if it were me, I would be calling every single insurer in the country to get my ncb reinstated.

This seems to be a more regular thing now with people returning to the country after working abroad. It is also common enough when miving from a job that had a company car included and then suddenly, you're starting all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Avrom wrote: »

Irish insurers are allowed to get away with lots of things, and obviously they use this opportunity.
    In other places in Europe, it's not so easy for insurers to get away with it.

Fairly ridiculous in my opinion is fact that you collect NCB separately if you have two cars? What sense does it make?
    If you've proven you are trust worthy customer by having no claims on one policy for 5 years and collecting 5 years NCB, why do they want to prove same thing on other policy if you purchase another car.
    Doesn't make any sense to me,

Really is a rip off.

The general rule is that you must have taken out a policy in your own name for a full term (1 year) before allowing 2 years to pass without having begun a full term policy in your own name. So, it is very unlikely that being a named driver on another policy before the 2 year expiry would negate the general rule, but I know if it were me, I would be calling every single insurer in the country to get my ncb reinstated.

This seems to be a more regular thing now with people returning to the country after working abroad. It is also common enough when miving from a job that had a company car included and then suddenly, you're starting all over again.

Did the op not have 8yrs previous?

Did the op not have 8yrs previous?

Yes. But what's that got to do with what I said?

A policy must be taken out for a full year, before you are uninsured for 2 years or more.

Are we not discussing the op situation?

• Advertisement

Are we not discussing the op situation?

Yes, we are. Are you going to elaborate? I believe my post and follow up post was clear enough. But, if you have trouble understanding any of what I said, you can ask away.

Edit:

I think I see where you are misunderstanding me. To be clear(er); regardless of how many years insurance and ncb a person has, they cannot then allow more than 2 years to pass without motor insurance in their own name. So, before 2 years is up, they must take out a policy in their own name and keep that policy for a year. It is my understanding that if someone got insured after 23 months of being uninsured and then cancelled the policy after 6 months, they would lose all their ncb. This was according to the former Quinn Direct.

this is really not fun. All i´m getting is quotes beyond ridiculous. More that double i paired before. I mean do 8 Years of NCB (before the 2 years gab) no point, no crashes, no nothing apart from paying the policy don´t do anything.

Yes, we are. Are you going to elaborate? I believe my post and follow up post was clear enough. But, if you have trouble understanding any of what I said, you can ask away.

Edit:

I think I see where you are misunderstanding me. To be clear(er); regardless of how many years insurance and ncb a person has, they cannot then allow more than 2 years to pass without motor insurance in their own name. So, before 2 years is up, they must take out a policy in their own name and keep that policy for a year. It is my understanding that if someone got insured after 23 months of being uninsured and then cancelled the policy after 6 months, they would lose all their ncb. This was according to the former Quinn Direct.

That's exactly where I was confused and you've clarified it perfectly. Appreciated. Did you find this T&C documented anywhere?

I'm thinking of getting rid of our 2nd car, (my policy) as I hardly use it these days. But I must check what it would cost me to get it back with no NCB vs maintaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

There is a trick to keep you NCB at times when you don't drive.

Just buy a chepest car you can get- possibly non-runner and insure it (cheapest option third party only).
    Then right after aquiring your policy, suspend it, and keep it suspended for next 12 months until policy expires. Suspended policy will cost you usually only about 10%-20% of annual premium, and you will still earn you NCB for that year.

However with most insurers it works that you will have to pay for the policy, and then you will be only refunded at the end.

So f.e. you buy a policy for €300, suspend it and keep it suspended for a year. Then when policy expires year later, you get a refund from them for €250. So it only costs you €50 to earn another year of NCB.

Sorry airy. I didn't mean to derail your quest.

But thats a good tip. That might work for me.

Sorry airy. I didn't mean to derail your quest.

But thats a good tip. That might work for me.

Assuming when you say "our" you mean yourself and your partner, a cheaper (Free) trick is just to rotate the policies each year. You insure the car in your name this year, your partner in their name next year etc. Your policy is never expired for more than a year and both your NCB stay active.

Oh very good....

That's exactly where I was confused and you've clarified it perfectly. Appreciated. Did you find this T&C documented anywhere?

I'm thinking of getting rid of our 2nd car, (my policy) as I hardly use it these days. But I must check what it would cost me to get it back with no NCB vs maintaining it.

I don't know if it's in the t&c, but it's common knowledge. Insurance companies don't have to offer, or honour ncb's. I think 2 years is unreasonable to allow them to expire, but i also think it's a bit mad to be able to pay extra to protect your ncb.
    djimi wrote: »
    Assuming when you say "our" you mean yourself and your partner, a cheaper (Free) trick is just to rotate the policies each year. You insure the car in your name this year, your partner in their name next year etc. Your policy is never expired for more than a year and both your NCB stay active.

Was gonna say that. ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

I was in the same position myself 3yrs ago abd could not get anyone to accept my expired ncb so I bought a 1.2 fiesta and built up again, not ideal and a pain in the ass but at least I can insure decent cars now 2lt+ for €500ish.

You could always get named on a policy if you have someone to do it, most insurers accept named driver experience nowadays.

• Advertisement
Advertisement