Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How your fitness tracker could clear up traffic jams

Options
  • 23-08-2014 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭

Workout fanatics are famously obsessed with the minutiae that fitness apps track, but get enough small data together and it quickly turns into big data. Recognizing the value in its aggregated data, Strava—one of the better-loved activity tracking apps—recently made the decision to sell its data to city governments looking to know more about how residents move through their streets.

Strava's urban data sharing initiative, known as Strava Metro, grew out of the company's "heatmaps," an experiment in citywide data visualization.

http://www.dailydot.com/technology/strava-waze-city-transportation-data-sharing/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I find that very interesting. The use of strava data for planning and investment in focused infrastructure is excellent but as per the second post..the health insurance side...its a little scary but on reading... it is inevitably the way it is going to go. Maybe not in my generation but quite possibly in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

I find that very interesting. The use of strava data for planning and investment in focused infrastructure is excellent but as per the second post..the health insurance side...its a little scary but on reading... it is inevitably the way it is going to go. Maybe not in my generation but quite possibly in the future
    Yea, it's been mostly Positives in all the Big Data Articles I've put up here but the Insurance one, the pause button needs to get hit for awhile on that to figure out how to stop that being abused.

Advertisement