Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD debating

Options
  • 23-08-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Having never debated at secondary school, I'm keen to give it a try in college. Do either Lawsoc or the L&H run workshops, or has the opportunity to compete at a beginner's level passed? Have any of you experiences of learning to debate at college?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kilrush

Both run workshops and maidens ( what they call people new to university debating) competitions in first and second semester so its never too late to start. I was heavily involved in the L&H last year but also had never debated before so I did the maidens competition and really enjoyed it. If a third year engineer can start it up there is nothing stopping a first year.

I imagine both societies will be too busy to mention it to you during freshers week but sign up to them and like their Facebook pages and they will be advertising the competitions that way.

The main thing is not being afraid and not to be put off if you cant speak for the full time you are given. I went from being petrified of public speaking at the start of last year to now volunteering to speak in front of lecture halls full of people so just keep at it and you will be amazed at your improvement over even a semester.

Any other questions I'm good friends with the committee members of L&H and Law Soc so if I cant answer you I'll be able to put you in the right direction :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

LawSoc and L&H offer workshops and all the rest. The maidens competition is a good one to start in.

The UCD Novice IV at the end of November is one of the only competitions that caters specifically for novices, so you should definitely try and do that. (It's in UCD on a Thursday usually).

If you're enjoying it and you're really keen you should try and go to the Cork IV.

The Cork IV usually in the first week of December is another competition with a "novice break" which means that novices have an opportunity to go into their own final even if they don't make the knockout rounds of the main competition. If you go to it one of the two societies will pay your registration and you just have to cover your own accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kilrush

I agree with everything errlloyd said just to say the Novice IV is on the 23rd of October this year and the facebook event can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/events/294667524049080

The Cork IV is as much about having the craic as debating. I really wish I could have gone last year but unfortunately I had labs and stuff to catch up on :( But as errlloyd said its a free weekend in cork with a good group of people to get to know and usually a good bit of free drink! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

kilrush wrote: »
    The Cork IV is as much about having the craic as debating. I really wish I could have gone last year but unfortunately I had labs and stuff to catch up on :( But as errlloyd said its a free weekend in cork with a good group of people to get to know and usually a good bit of free drink! :cool:

Shhhhhh we don't mention the potential for free drink in case the hoards of UCD boards heads get pissed off at society sponsored piss up junkets. Debating is serious business remember :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I have always been equal parts keen to give debating a try and terrified of the thought of it. but seriously considering taking it up in UCD

• Advertisement
Advertisement