Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade help / options

Options
  • 23-08-2014 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭

I've currently got a Shuttle SH67 and it's beginning to annoy me with the lack of options, and the fact it constantly blue screens due to overheating so I'm looking to upgrade.

The hardware is fairly decent so I want to keep it, and just upgrade the Case, PSU, motherboard and get a GFX card, which I'm looking for assistance on, been a long time since I've purchased anything other than the Shuttle.

Current hardware is:
    Intel i5-2500K
    Crucial 8GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1333MHz CL9
    Samsung EVO 120gb SDD

The only thing I'm 100% sure on is the case, I want a Bitfenix Prodigy Mini ITX. Other than that, I need some assistance in what motherboard and gfx card to go with, along with a PSU (preferable a modular one)

Main game I like to play is Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Budget wise, I have €400-€500, and I'd like to order from somewhere that delivers fairly quickly.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What's causing the blue screen? Have you identified it? Could be a piece of hardware, or software.

Upgrade wise, it's a bit tricky, as the 2500K is still a good CPU but you'd want to overclock it to squeeze the best life out of it. Have a look at m-itx boards in socket 1155 to see what's available but it may be worth considering selling your old board+cpu and upgrading to Socket 1150 seeing as you're buying a new board and all.

Putting that aside for the moment and assuming you just bought a mitx 1155 board with the prodigy, I would probably go for a PSU like the corsair 600cxm and a card like the R9 280x - HWV have the Club3D RoyalQueen for €233 at the moment which is great value. Overall the spend would be about €430 I'd estimate. Another worthwhile purchase would be a good CPU cooler to overclock that 2500K.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

It was caused by overheating. I re-applied thermal paste to the CPU yesterday and I haven't had one blue screen since, and I've been running ETS2 non stop for the day yesterday. (would usually only get 10 mins before BSOD)

Upgrading now isn't as high on my list of priorities now. I may look at just building a new rig entirely in a Prodigy.

As I said, I'm no where near the biggest gamer, I tend to enjoy Simulation games (Such as ETS2 I mentioned earlier) but would like to get into some of the racing games that are only on PC, but they seem to be quite demanding PC/GFX wise.

Advertisement