Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TT bike

Options
  • 23-08-2014 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

I spotted a tt bike in a bike shop today and was wondering would it make any additional improvements to my TT? I was using a full carbon bike with ultegra groupset and tt bars atm. I can afford the tt bike i was looking at but i would only purchase if it would increase performance. Advice would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I got a TT bike recently, and, for the effort you put in you do get more speed. I've done a few sessions on it, but plan on including at least one training session per week on it in order to get used to the different position - something about making power with an open hip position versus a regular further back bike, and getting used to the TT arms out position - i find after about 15-20 minutes in the tuck my shoulders get stiff. Getting used to it tho. Anyway, in answer to your question, a TT bike should be faster than a regular bike, but there are other things that will give more bang for buck. Helmet, skinsuit, shoe covers all cost a lot less and will give an improvement in times.

on the other hand, N = your current number of bikes, and N+1 is always faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

lennymc wrote: »
    I got a TT bike recently, and, for the effort you put in you do get more speed. I've done a few sessions on it, but plan on including at least one training session per week on it in order to get used to the different position - something about making power with an open hip position versus a regular further back bike, and getting used to the TT arms out position - i find after about 15-20 minutes in the tuck my shoulders get stiff. Getting used to it tho. Anyway, in answer to your question, a TT bike should be faster than a regular bike, but there are other things that will give more bang for buck. Helmet, skinsuit, shoe covers all cost a lot less and will give an improvement in times.

on the other hand, N = your current number of bikes, and N+1 is always faster.

Sound Lenny.

can i ask what type of TT bike did u get? I was looking at a Cannondale one, i think it was a Cannondale slice. Last year in my TTs i was about 15-25 secs off the leader and all i had was my road bike with the ttbars and aero wheels. No aero helmet, no shoe covers, skinsuit. I was thinking of purchasing but then i would also need to get fitted etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Amprodude wrote: »
    Sound Lenny.

can i ask what type of TT bike did u get? I was looking at a Cannondale one, i think it was a Cannondale slice. Last year in my TTs i was about 15-25 secs off the leader and all i had was my road bike with the ttbars and aero wheels. No aero helmet, no shoe covers, skinsuit. I was thinking of purchasing but then i would also need to get fitted etc.

These make a mahoosive difference..

Why shell out on a new bike when you could get these for a fraction of the price? (slightly hypocritical as i would buy a new bike if I had the money but if it's actually speed/time you are trying to beat the bike isn't the best option)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bike fit one of the guys in our club reckoned he got an extra 20 watts on the tt bike after the bike fit . he has all the other stuff already.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Redmond101

I spotted a tt bike in a bike shop today and was wondering would it make any additional improvements to my TT? I was using a full carbon bike with ultegra groupset and tt bars atm. I can afford the tt bike i was looking at but i would only purchase if it would increase performance. Advice would be great. Thanks.

I think you've already decided!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Isn't the Slice a tri bike rather than a TT bike?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Lumen wrote: »
    Isn't the Slice a tri bike rather than a TT bike?

it has a swappable seat post for a tt or tri position
    i bought a slice at the start of the year, for triathlon. no question it's faster than the roab bike for a given effort, and it's much easier hold a sustained pace over distance than the road bike. on the flip side they don;t climb as well, and don't manoeuvre as well, but they have a purpose and do it well

first month, 20 minutes and my back was aching. now, i'm more comfortable on the slice than the road bike. 4.5 hour spin last sunday, all of it in the aero position, and perfectly comfortable for the whole thing .

will it increase performance? i've no doubt it will. love the slice, it's a smashing bike. just be aware if you don;t have a set of deep rim wheels better factor them in as well, you'll be wanting them soon after getting it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

mossym wrote: »
    love the slice, it's a smashing bike. just be aware if you don;t have a set of deep rim wheels better factor them in as well, you'll be wanting them soon after getting it:)
    This is a friend's 2009 Slice with trispokes. Reckons they're a bit scary in the wind but he's a triathlete and isn't dead yet so they can't be that bad. :pac:

mine, still loaded from the spin today.

few changes from stock, 4za 50mm clinchers, power2max PM, Prologo tri saddle

20140823_202924_zpsgbzyogyb.jpg

serious machine.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    This is a friend's 2009 Slice with trispokes. Reckons they're a bit scary in the wind but he's a triathlete and isn't dead yet so they can't be that bad. :pac:

Some machine also.

How long was the spin? Were u TTing? I would be doing 8km and 20km tts just on its own for this.

Redmond101 wrote: »
    I think you've already decided!!

The only thing in my favour is i have wasted money on other things that havent been of benefit. Cycling is my hobby and i dont think it would be a waste to me personally. I have been looking for a second one too but found nothing that rocks my boat.

How long was the spin? Were u TTing? I would be doing 8km and 20km tts just on its own for this.

Today's was 70. Tapering for a half ironman next weekend. Last Sunday's was 130 on the tri bike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

@amprodude - got a second hand felt s22. Aluminium bike, shimano ultegra and microshift shifters, fsa TT chainset (52 big ring). Bought it without wheels, using pro rc 50 tubs, but will probably get a disc rear at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

... Last year in my TTs i was about 15-25 secs off the leader and all i had was my road bike with the ttbars and aero wheels. No aero helmet, no shoe covers, skinsuit. ...

If those were 20km TT's averaging 40km or more you should have won those races with an aero helmet alone. Shoe covers may be banned in your races. Also try moving the saddle forward as far as is legal and for 20km and shorter you might also try lowering the bars.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2010/04/biggest-bang-for-your-buck-in-time-trial-equipment/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I sold me TT bike earlier in the year as I no longer do triathlons, TT's in stage races are short and it was seeing very little use.

I have found however that riding with forearms on handlebars on my aero frame standard road bike is considerably faster than riding on the drops and most likely comparable to what I got with the TT bike. Riding on forearms, shaved legs,

this helmet for 56 sterling:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Lazer_Bullet_P2276139/

and this speedsuit

http://galibier.cc/product/speedsuit/

more than make up for the loss of the TT bike.

Advertisement