Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kill the Messenger

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Is that a typo on the Wiki?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_the_Messenger_%282014_film%29#Release

Budget $5 million
    Box office $2.5 million

Unless it hasnt received a full release yet? Even still, that budget cant be right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Has anyone seen this since? It holds 77% on RT but Id rather the opinion of a few regulars on here who've watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Saw it the other day, thought I would hate it but it was actually pretty good. It looks low budget, feels like you're watching an 80s movie at times, Renner is excellent. I didn't realise it was based on a true story which makes it all the more powerful. Worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I've seen it. It's Miami Vice meets All The Presidents Men. Knowing about the Noriega / Oliver North / Contra thing going in is a distinct advantage.
    Basically about how you can be a journalist, get the truth, prove the truth and still wind up ****ed.
    Its a movie to bring the brain to and maybe read a book or two afterwards.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

It's a serviceable old style political thriller.
    Renner does a good job as the reporter who exposes the CIA collusion with drug traffickers in Central America.
    It's a movie of 2 halves as the firstly we deal with how he goes about gathering evidence & compiling his story.
    The 2nd half deals with him having to defend his leads against attack from the CIA & the larger newspapers who all try to discredit him.
    Oliver Platt plays, guess, a lawyer for the paper & Mary Elizabeth Winstead, although far too good looking for there to be no sexual tension, plays the editor.
    Only casting miss is Renners wife who looks like an out of place ornament.

I enjoyed it although it becomes too much of a character piece as it goes along & loses focus on the big story at hand.

An enjoyable 7/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

7/10 is a good score for it - really enjoyed it and the story is one that you really feel for the main character protrayed brilliantly by Renner

Advertisement