Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

99% of young adults in D6 go to college, just 15% in D17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

I am interested in this as I volunteer in some programmes that aim to get people from disadvantaged areas into further education. But looking at this article it seems like somewhat an uphill struggle. How do we improve social mobility in Dublin?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Get children to complete a Leaving Cert..

When I worked in the inner city of Dublin, children whose parents had completed a Leaving Cert. were far more likely to be encouraged at home to go on further.

There could be other incentives, such as not paying out child benefit if the child is not attending school at least 85% of the time, but there would probably be uproar about them. The vast majority of 'truancy' cases in this country are with the collaboration and approval of the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,126 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The way I see it, everyone is given the same opportunity to get educated and progress in life.

Some choose to grasp it, others don't. For various reasons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Once, at a PT meeting, when I discussed FETAC options (and a route into a full-time job with the Corporation) for a child who had very green fingers and an interest in horticulture , her mother said (in her hearing) 'Sure working in the pound shop will be grand for her'.

Some people don't realise how easy they have it, with supportive parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I live in D17, and this doesn't surprise me. Out of my school year, I was one of only two who went to college. 4 more got jobs, the rest went on the dole, and are still on the dole 8 years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

The schools really don't always help though. One school I went to felt it was in their best interests to encourage and push students whose parents could afford the 'student voluntary contribution' and ignore the rest of us. So money talks

Yeah, getting children to leaving cert seems like a huge step forward. The whole thing is so complex and seems like it has many causes.

I live in D17, and this doesn't surprise me. Out of my school year, I was one of only two who went to college. 4 more got jobs, the rest went on the dole, and are still on the dole 8 years later.

Is it possible to leave school and go straight on to the dole? Surely further education/ training/ apprenticeship is the way forward......

Green Screen, what do you think would have helped those classmates that didn't continue their education to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

NIMAN wrote: »
    The way I see it, everyone is given the same opportunity to get educated and progress in life.

Some choose to grasp it, others don't. For various reasons.

I don't think this is 100% true. I grew up in Dublin 17, Darndale to be specific which is mentioned in the article. I got accepted to UCD back in 2006 and was one of 6 to go to college from my class. I completed 2 years and dropped out. My reasons for dropping out were varied but the main reasons were financial and lack of support and encouragement from home, I felt overwhelmed and this led to high anxiety and I left.

It is now 8years after my entry to UCD and I am now a third year college student with 2 years left and have been averaging a high 2:1 in each set of end of year exams.

I am training to be a secondary school teacher and have done my last teaching practice in a DEIS school in a disadvantaged area. There are numerous reasons why children do not progress to 3rd level. They do not have the same resources in these areas, there are huge financial constraints, peer pressure as progressing to 3rd level and even sometimes completing your leaving certificate is not the norm.

I found a huge factor is also the child's home situation. If there is no support you will need an extremely determined, strong willed independent individual to push past that and complete third level.

I was the first in my family to attend college. There are 35 first cousins in my family and even more second cousins. I was under a lot of pressure and my parents did not understand the whole process, they did not understand how long it took to complete exams, study etc. When I tried to do these things at home I was told I should have it done already and to help with dinner or to tidy. I also had to hold down a 20-30 hour per week job to support myself.

It is purely not as simple as everyone having an equal opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I come from a disadvantaged area and I have found it extremely difficult and exhausting trying to even get entry to third level. The secondary school I attended dragged a huge group of scumbags into LCA and lumped me in with them. it really makes things difficult. I couldn't even get into the army or gardai because I don't have a proper leaving cert..

This year I was hoping to get entry into third level to study criminology or psychology but because of the demand and complexity of the courses. I was told my best bet is to wait until I'm a mature student so my previous educational career won't go against me. So now i'v to spend another year in fetac level 6 so I can hopefully progress to atleast level 7 (degree)

At this rate i'll be 27 before I can even get my first third level qualification.. I'm really beyond pissed off at this stage.. If you leave school without a proper leaving cert then you really are screwed. what an unfair and ridiculous system we have... Hopefully it changes for the kids in the future.

Jwacqui wrote: »
    I don't think this is 100% true. I grew up in Dublin 17, Darndale to be specific which is mentioned in the article. I got accepted to UCD back in 2006 and was one of 6 to go to college from my class. I completed 2 years and dropped out. My reasons for dropping out were varied but the main reasons were financial and lack of support and encouragement from home, I felt overwhelmed and this led to high anxiety and I left.

It is now 8years after my entry to UCD and I am now a third year college student with 2 years left and have been averaging a high 2:1 in each set of end of year exams.

I am training to be a secondary school teacher and have done my last teaching practice in a DEIS school in a disadvantaged area. There are numerous reasons why children do not progress to 3rd level. They do not have the same resources in these areas, there are huge financial constraints, peer pressure as progressing to 3rd level and even sometimes completing your leaving certificate is not the norm.

I found a huge factor is also the child's home situation. If there is no support you will need an extremely determined, strong willed independent individual to push past that and complete third level.

I was the first in my family to attend college. There are 35 first cousins in my family and even more second cousins. I was under a lot of pressure and my parents did not understand the whole process, they did not understand how long it took to complete exams, study etc. When I tried to do these things at home I was told I should have it done already and to help with dinner or to tidy. I also had to hold down a 20-30 hour per week job to support myself.

It is purely not as simple as everyone having an equal opportunity.

I have to say I am very impressed by your determination. Fair play!!! Any kid will be lucky to have you as their teacher one day!! :-) How is college now? More manageable? Looks like your results are great anyways!

carzony wrote: »
    I come from a disadvantaged area and I have found it extremely difficult and exhausting trying to even get entry to third level. The secondary school I attended dragged a huge group of scumbags into LCA and lumped me in with them. it really makes things difficult. I couldn't even get into the army or gardai because I don't have a proper leaving cert..

This year I was hoping to get entry into third level to study criminology or psychology but because of the demand and complexity of the courses. I was told my best bet is to wait until I'm a mature student so my previous educational career won't go against me. So now i'v to spend another year in fetac level 6 so I can hopefully progress to atleast level 7 (degree)

At this rate i'll be 27 before I can even get my first third level qualification.. I'm really beyond pissed off at this stage.. If you leave school without a proper leaving cert then you really are screwed. what an unfair and ridiculous system we have... Hopefully it changes for the kids in the future.

I came through the Fetac system too Carzony. I did a level 5 and applied to college with that. Although I had got my leaving as well. I would say keep on going. Do all the courses that will get u there, even if it is slow. Its way better than not doing it. But yeah the leaving cert system really does seem to treat a lot of young people badly.

AlexDublin wrote: »
    I have to say I am very impressed by your determination. Fair play!!! Any kid will be lucky to have you as their teacher one day!! :-) How is college now? More manageable? Looks like your results are great anyways!

Thank you, I just feel very lucky to have taken the leap to return to education and get my degree. It is the best decision I ever made. I love my course and I love my college. It is so much more manageable now but that's down to my home situation and mindframe.

I work 34 hour weeks while in college full time to support myself as I was in UCD for 2 years I had to pay full feels of nearly €6,000 for first year and second year. That was difficult but I've gotten through those two years. I had to defer my course for the year to work to save up aswell. I was very fearful of failing but I pushed pass this fear and decided if I let this overwhelm me I was never going to succeed.

I have been living with my boyfriend the last 2.5 years and he is an incredible support and encourages me in all I do. Without him I'm not sure if I would have made it this far. I averaged a 68 in my 2nd year exam results this year and I was ecstatic. Being 26 now my maturity definitely helps but it also means I know what I want and I have that focus to achieve it.

It can be so easy to give up. I am working in the same job for nearly 8 years and I have been promoted twice and I am now in a managerial position. To most people this would be a suitable job. My pay is pretty decent and not far off what I will be earning starting off teaching. I want more for myself though and I want to have a degree and follow my dream and be a teacher. It has not been an easy path but I'm sure it will be worth it.

I know this thread is very old and apologies for dragging it up.

I just wanted to update after my last post here. I received my final year exam results on Wednesday and I received a first class honours. Beyond proud and delighted! I can't even explain how happy I am!

jikhtz.jpg

Roll on graduation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Jwacqui wrote: »
    I know this thread is very old and apologies for dragging it up.

I just wanted to update after my last post here. I received my final year exam results on Wednesday and I received a first class honours. Beyond proud and delighted! I can't even explain how happy I am!

jikhtz.jpg

Roll on graduation!

You're fantastic, very well done!

Funnily enough, I just started back at education myself :)

I don't know about fantastic but determined yes! Best of luck it's a great feeling to go back.

Advertisement