Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a Saab?

Options
  • 22-08-2014 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi if any one is thinking of buying a saab 93 or the 95 these are not bad cars and you will get a fabtastic level of comfort and spec for small money issues with these cars are as follows one is. sludeging caused by lack of oil servicing and the use of incorrect oil viscosity ie the cars suffer from turbo failure also as a result I have rebuilt gt 15 and gt 17 turbos as a result of bad oil servicing and it is so important to use fully synthetic oil not the cheap rubbish as the turbos are also coolent cooled flushing and replacing the coolent is also recommend look after the oil changes and either the 95 or the 93 will give you trouble free motering and please make sure when changing oil its drained from the sump plug not through the dip stick have a look at the service history also check the (sid) the saab information display unit as the pixels fail on these and they can be repaired a lot of car for small money they do not hold value so you could bag your self a great car I alway maintain I would rather push a saab than drive a Renault

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Motors forum

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

OK, thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

saabfix wrote: »
    Hi if any one is thinking of buying a saab 93 or the 95 these are not bad cars and you will get a fabtastic level of comfort and spec for small money issues with these cars are as follows one is. sludeging caused by lack of oil servicing and the use of incorrect oil viscosity ie the cars suffer from turbo failure also as a result I have rebuilt gt 15 and gt 17 turbos as a result of bad oil servicing and it is so important to use fully synthetic oil not the cheap rubbish as the turbos are also coolent cooled flushing and replacing the coolent is also recommend look after the oil changes and either the 95 or the 93 will give you trouble free motering and please make sure when changing oil its drained from the sump plug not through the dip stick have a look at the service history also check the (sid) the saab information display unit as the pixels fail on these and they can be repaired a lot of car for small money they do not hold value so you could bag your self a great car I alway maintain I would rather push a saab than drive a Renault

Errrmmmm....right....ok...... Do you have any fullstops in yer toolbox...cos if you do, consider using them, and maybe some paragraphs too.

Re saabs....yeah...nice vectras them yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Is this some kind of ploy to convince people to buy saabs so you can fix their saab, saabfix?

If so shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

or you could buy a real car that dont have a reputation for being Opels that have a lot of trouble and buy a nice comfy sweedish Volvo ;)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-volvo-s80-2-0-t-leather/7197234

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

or you could buy a real car that dont have a reputation for being Opels that have a lot of trouble and buy a nice comfy sweedish Volvo ;)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-volvo-s80-2-0-t-leather/7197234

Sure, with no nct lol

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Sure, with no nct lol

still a bargain.

i sold my 04 one of these for €2,800 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

Great cars, had a 9-5 aero estate after remap with 3" downpipe, exhaust and bigger turbo pushing around 300 bhp, it was stupidly fast for a family wagon. Seats were great as well. I did a 4.5k km's trip around France and it delivered. And it feels very safe with 5 NCAP stars (first car to achieve this). Factory brakes on Aero were huge and I never felt brake fade even heavily loaded in Alps. Direct ignition and mapping ability is the best feature but also has its problems.
    Handling was also good (mine was lowered though). Behind the wheel it felt same as in a 200sx(Silvia) S14 or in a Skyline R33 I drove at the same period of time (they are RWD obviously, it's the general feel of the car I mean) - very easy to drive.

Now the con's:

Fuel consumption not good, 13.5L/100km in town, 10.5L/100km on motorway
    It raises a lot if you use the power due to massive weight

Use of front tyres and discs/pads is ridiculous due to weight of car/power

Manual gearboxes can't really cope with power plus they have their own design problems (need diff bearings change after set mileage etc). Gearbox in mine was very worn at 130k miles and I was very worried if I make it home

Direct ignition - can't replace one coil, the whole lot needs to go

Various bits go with mileage - crank sensor, engine mounts, driveshafts, Direct ignition, air flow meters, shocks, mounts, rear bushes, the usual stuff.

As mentioned, lots of cars with oil sludge problem means that it can be a hit or miss and I wouldn't trust any engine like that anymore. Once it's sludged, it's everywhere and can cause problems down the line.

Parts prices average. I had to get stuff from US sometimes as prices were lower but got done with customs unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 saabfix

Now there is a few horror storys going around about the saab 93/95 1st is the sludeging up in the engine this is where the oil has broken down prematurely this is due to the incorrect oil used 2nd horror is the dreaded blue smoke on start up and in some cases becoming a permanent stream of blue smoke could be the turbo failing which is also due to incorrect oil being used now if the car has a service history and the correct oil has been used you should consider taking a chance on the saab you will get a lot of car for small money l should know I fix them and find them a great car I own a 3 owner 00 95 se lovely I had to fix the turbo but noe a very comfortable drive .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Good write up

would add take off the sump and clean out the sludge when you first get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Errrmmmm....right....ok...... Do you have any fullstops in yer toolbox...cos if you do, consider using them, and maybe some paragraphs too.

Re saabs....yeah...nice vectras them yokes.

James Joyce wants his writing style back!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Now there is a few horror storys going around about the saab 93/95 1st is the sludeging up in the engine this is where the oil has broken down prematurely this is due to the incorrect oil used 2nd horror is the dreaded blue smoke on start up and in some cases becoming a permanent stream of blue smoke could be the turbo failing which is also due to incorrect oil being used now if the car has a service history and the correct oil has been used you should consider taking a chance on the saab you will get a lot of car for small money l should know I fix them and find them a great car I own a 3 owner 00 95 se lovely I had to fix the turbo but noe a very comfortable drive .

What's the story with all pro Saab threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Been there, done that, wrote the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

been there,done that,had to get towed off the road 4 times in the space of 8 months.

Jaysis :o I've only had to be towed once, about 10m from my house at that, my fuel pump wiring came loose, other than that, it's been as ok as it can be

christy02 wrote: »
    What's the story with all pro Saab threads?

I am new here hi, I am just saying the cars are underestimated and I was trying to post this in the saab thread sorry if I upset anyone was not ment to cheers

I sense a swift ban in the morrow

I am new here hi, I am just saying the cars are underestimated and I was trying to post this in the saab thread sorry if I upset anyone was not ment to cheers

That's fair enough, but there is no "saab" thread as such, plus you'l get a lot of hate from people who just see them as an expensive opel vectra, there are a few of us who do appreciate them, but we tend to keep it to ourselves

People know the faults of them so there's no need to go plugging it to them all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Saab this, saab that, someone's been spending too much time with a saab. (And no, I don't mean you pickles :pac:)

Saab this, saab that, someone's been spending too much time with a saab. (And no, I don't mean you pickles :pac:)

Nah i just spent too much on mine :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

OP lists so many faults that it has put me off Saabs for life! Then again he could fix them for me. ;)

OP lists so many faults that it has put me off Saabs for life! Then again he could fix them for me. ;)

so could i but you dont see me trying to sell myself

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You just did. :p

Is this some kind of ploy to convince people to buy saabs so you can fix their saab, saabfix?

If so shame on you.
    not at all I can not take on any more than I have to do its a good complaint my wish was to bring to possible owners the cures for some saab issues some free advice you seem very upset sorry I am a much calmer dude dont let a little free advice upset you all I mentioned can be carried out with just a small amount of skill keep up your patrol of the threads best wishes saabfix

If so shame on you.
    not at all I can not take on any more than I have to do its a good complaint my wish was to bring to possible owners the cures for some saab issues some free advice you seem very upset sorry I am a much calmer dude dont let a little free advice upset you all I mentioned can be carried out with just a small amount of skill keep up your patrol of the threads best wishes saabfix

No wonder you like saab so.

they keep breaking down, you have plenty of work to keep you going,

this thread and your posts are a sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

What engine oil is recommended for a 95 , 2.0t LPT ?
    And what service interval?

5W30 @ every 5000 miles

Advertisement