Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo C30 vs Audi A3

Options
  • 22-08-2014 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

So it has come to the time where my girlfriend is looking to upgrade her car and I'm looking for some advice! She has test driven quite a few at this stage (Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, VW Golf, Ford Focus) and has come to like both the Volvo C30 and the Audi A3 the best.

It's a very close call between the too, she likes how they handle and the sleekness of the interiors. Is there anything that would sway you one way or the other between the two cars?

When she started out looking her requirements were:
    Min year 2009
    Diesel (She does the mileage to justify)
    Hatch (She just won't consider a saloon)
    Comfortable/stylish interior. Not cluttered and "dashy" as she calls it!
    Has to be a solid car on the road, good handling, not sluggish.
    Budget Max. €15000

She would prefer to buy from a dealer for peace of mind.
    She has an 06 Nissan Almera that she could trade in for €2500.

So what would you go for? Any other cars that you would recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd have the audi if finances allowed. C30 is likely to be 1.6D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd have the audi if finances allowed. C30 is likely to be 1.6D

It is 1.6d, but so was the A3 she drove today. What would sway you towards the Audi?

Resale value, less fussy engine, better boot, 3 rear seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VW Scirocco is also worth looking at:

media?xwm=y&id=a9b14edf-66ee-4916-829f-226496307a53&width=400&height=300

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Resale value, less fussy engine, better boot, 3 rear seats.

Space in the back isn't really a concern, nor is boot space really. Resale value is a good point but she is intending to keep whatever she buys for quite a few years so whatever she buys is going to depreciate a fair bit. She drove an Alfa Giulietta and loved it but was put off by resale value and reliability worries. I would actually encourage her to buy what she loves but if I let her buy an Alfa I think her dad would kill me!
    When you say fussy engines could you elaborate? It's going to be the 1.6d if she buys one. They're Ford engines and running gear in them aren't they?

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    VW Scirocco is also worth looking at:

Yes, hadn't really thought of the Scirocco, a fantastic looking car. Should organise a test drive.

1.6 in the C30 is the peugeot 1.6 HDI engine (as fitted to the focus)

I had a look and it seems those engines gave problems in the focus due to a filter that ford used. Doesn't seem to be an issue in the Volvos though. The Audi is presumably a safer choice in your opinion anyway Colm.
    I really like the look of the Scirocco. Only problem if she gets one is the hard time she'll have keeping me out of it!

If the scirocco excited you and she loves it then go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Space in the back isn't really a concern, nor is boot space really. Resale value is a good point but she is intending to keep whatever she buys for quite a few years so whatever she buys is going to depreciate a fair bit. She drove an Alfa Giulietta and loved it but was put off by resale value and reliability worries. I would actually encourage her to buy what she loves but if I let her buy an Alfa I think her dad would kill me!
    When you say fussy engines could you elaborate? It's going to be the 1.6d if she buys one. They're Ford engines and running gear in them aren't they?
    My Aunt was in the same predicament, same cars and went with the Alfa. Best engine of the lot and she loves it. Reliability worries are no worse for that than the Audi to be honest. Resale isn't terrible on them, because there are so few around. And it's far better looking than the others.
    I'd be looking at the 2 litre diesel if I were going for the C30.

• Advertisement
Advertisement