Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT on old car

Options
  • 22-08-2014 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi All,

Looking for some direction here.

I bought an old mk2 golf on english plates 2 weeks ago. The seller (person 1) then sent on the uk tax book (V5C book) that week. Turns out the car was sold from england back in 2006! The person (person 3) who bought the car never changed it over to there own name but they filled out the tax book change of ownership document with their details.

Its get more complicated that the person I bought it off was selling it on behalf of the original importer.

The issue occurs when I go to complete the VRTVPD2 form when it asks who I bought it from(person 1 - seller). I bought it from the seller but that's not the name on the english tax book (person 2 - original UK owner). The next problem was the person who brought the car in from outside the state is also different (person 3 - importer). So now the person I bought it from and the person who imported it are different.

I know I should have checked a lot of this detail first but I didn't think the process would be so convoluted. I want to pay the VRT on the car and I know the revenue want the tax and I just want to make sure I go about it in the right way.

From my point of view I'm just going to fill the form in that the seller was the importer as well. Has anyone had a similar issue before? What are revenue like to deal with in tricky situations like this?

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Josh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

All you can do is make sure you give all the details in when you VRT it. Make sure you book your appointment within 7 days of the date of the receipt you got (you did get one right?...never mind you can write out your own) You do realise the VRT is likely to be €720 I guess.

The guy wasn't entitled to sell it to you btw, so watch your step)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 joshlismore

corktina wrote: »
    All you can do is make sure you give all the details in when you VRT it. Make sure you book your appointment within 7 days of the date of the receipt you got (you did get one right?...never mind you can write out your own) You do realise the VRT is likely to be €720 I guess.

The guy wasn't entitled to sell it to you btw, so watch your step)

Thanks for the response. Got VRT appointment Wednesday next week. Got the receipt of sale. It's my own fault but at the time it didn't think for a second that the tax book would be filled out and not actually submitted. Honesty is the best possible here and I'll be as transparent as I can be when it comes to the inspection. I'd hate to have to scrap the car and sell for parts. It's in great nick with no rust! Hopefully I can sort it out.

I don't think it matters too much as long as you have the V5C and a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 joshlismore

I don't think it matters too much as long as you have the V5C and a receipt.

Cheers man, thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I'd be careful here; the VRT was due in 2006 and you have no proof that you have only just brought it into the country. Does the receipt have an Irish address? They can refuse to register the car until the appropriate VRT is paid - meaning 2006 values and rates. If you were considering purchasing I'd advise you to avoid. In the circumstances I think you face a bit of a lottery.

• Advertisement

too late, he already bought it.

too late, he already bought it.

I could see that but accidentally pasted text n the middle of sentence which made it unintelligible. Frankly, I think it's likely he'll have to surrender the car to Revenue as he has no paperwork to get the VRT calculated at current value and the old value will likely result in it being uneconomical.

He has the paperwork

He has the paperwork

As far as I can tell he has purchased the car in Ireland from someone who imported it back in 2006 and that the paperwork will not demonstrate anything different. That is a nightmare.

they will accept a hand-written receipt....they even have notices in some centres saying as much. Let's just hope it shows a Uk address and a date within the last 7 days!

• Advertisement

they will accept a hand-written receipt....they even have notices in some centres saying as much. Let's just hope it shows a Uk address and a date within the last 7 days!

That would be good and he can hope that they don't ask for a ferry ticket or notice that the V5C is an out of date format which was changed 4 years ago. I'm not trying to be negative but the OP needs information and to establish as much evidence as he possibly can.

He has two choices to my mind...

1) scrap the car (or sell it to another mug (no offence OP) )

or

2) accept the consequences.

Advertisement