Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Plan on buying a new car - advice/thoughts

Options
  • 22-08-2014 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Ok I plan on getting a new motor in January 2015. I currently drive a 09 Auris, 1.4L. Hoping to go up to 1.6 or 1.8. If possible, I don't want to be up in the high tax bracket either. I'll have approx. 25-30k to spend.

I've a few ideas myself but just wondering what your recommendations/thoughts would be.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Gally05

if it were me 320D Coupe ! (provided there are no Kids in the equation)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Gally05 wrote: »
    if it were me 320D Coupe ! (provided there are no Kids in the equation)

There ain't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Just remember that with a car with emissions-based tax, you can go up as far as a 3ltr and still be paying a little more than what a 1.8 on the CC system costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Just remember that engine size is largely irrelevant when it comes to Tax now, 3.0 Audis and BMW's are around 700 or less.

Just like last Sunday FN, Tipp bet Cork :P

• Advertisement

Just like last Sunday FN, Tipp bet Cork :P

Jerk :pac:

What did they bet on?

Jerk :pac:

What did they bet on?

They bet them in the hurling. Bet = past tense of beat. i.e. tipp bet cork but you beat off all day every day :pac:

They bet them in the hurling. Bet = past tense of beat. i.e. tipp bet cork but you beat off all day every day :pac:

What else would I be doing while I'm working in Maxol :pac:

To keep it on topic, get something fun while you can, not some 1.6 yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just remember that engine size is largely irrelevant when it comes to Tax now, 3.0 Audis and BMW's are around 700 or less.

Might not always be though.

There will be some realignment of CO2 bands I'm sure over the coming years, and it will be rare to find a 3.0 engine that has emissions the same as a 1.6.

That would be my fear.

OSI wrote: »
    And your ideal car would be, an SUV, coupe, estate, 3 door hatchback?

Honestly my ideal car would be a coupe or a sporty enough 3 door hatchback. However, I wouldn't rule anything out at this point bar an SUV :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fully speced Mazda 3 GT or Platinium is within budget:

media?xwm=y&id=6622f0bd-2cce-4100-b639-091ed10076a9&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Mazda/Mazda3/150PS-GT/37913850371897590/

NIMAN wrote: »
    Might not always be though.

There will be some realignment of CO2 bands I'm sure over the coming years, and it will be rare to find a 3.0 engine that has emissions the same as a 1.6.

That would be my fear.

Oh no doubt, it's why I said largely. To be honest our tax system should be called the "Make it up as we go along" Tax.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Fully speced Mazda 3 GT or Platinium is within budget:

media?xwm=y&id=6622f0bd-2cce-4100-b639-091ed10076a9&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Mazda/Mazda3/150PS-GT/37913850371897590/

I like the look of this, more research to be done.

Anyone got experience with Kias? Was thinking of looking at a proCeed too (Albeit it's a 1.6)

http://www.carzone.ie/search/KIA/pro_ceed/1.6-Dies/71814086168034630/advert?channel=CARS

Advertisement