Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

people growing veggies, how have you done this year?

Options
  • 22-08-2014 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

how has your garden done this year, has the spud's, peas, carrots, peas, beans, apples, strawberries, or whatever else you are growing done well or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

strawberries good
    sweetcornonthecob ....wait and see
    peas..ok ish planted too much together and the cluster was easily wiped out..maybe planted a bit too early to as they had nowhere to hide.
    Potatos...good enough (yr5 in the same place..soil turning to dust though)..wish id labellelled the varieties as some really tasty ones and some duds
    Tomatos....planted too late again this year.tonnes of em..all green! maybe am indian summer
    pumpkins ..too late planting so only a few promising ones...
    courgettes..not bad
    cooking apples.. coddling moth took its toll but still a good few left.
    Blackcurrent..not bad but not tonnes either. made jam ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

My onions did very badly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I grew the tumbler type tomatoes in hanging baskets, they didn't ripen outside, but doing great now in the greenhouse. Potatoes got a touch of blight, even though I sprayed. Grew shallots instead of onions sets, they did really well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Last year, everything we grew in the garden did well, onions, leeks, carrots, parsnips, spuds, spring onions, peas, beans, beetroot, radish, salad leaves, apples, strawberries, rasberries, etc..

This year almost everything that is growing above ground has done badly, root stuff like spuds and carrots did well..., peas all turned brown, the beans, no idea what happened there, started off great then turned black, sprouts and broccoli failed to grow, leeks did badly this year, the apple trees had less than a third of what grew last year, the cherry trees had nothing this year..

could it have been the weather, we had a couple of months of temperatures over 30 Deg C in the day then falling to 5 Deg C at night?

I am now thinking for next year to build a large greenhouse, maybe 30 Sq M or more and have a polytunnel, will these help?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Poor year this year for me.
    A lot of stuff like carrots and onions never really got going. Courgettes aren't great either.
    Strawberries were brand new plants so I'm taking a slightly long term view and will try to winter them.
    Think I started my tomatoes slightly too late. There's plenty of them but they're still green.
    My chillies are finally starting to ripen in the glasshouse.

I think my main issues were:
    1. I didn't fertilise the soil enough this year
    2. Overall, it's been much drier this year and I didn't water enough
    3. I started a month later this year

Definitely starting a compost heap this winter, along with putting down some more raised beds so I can grow more berries next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Loads of spinach, dwarf beans did well too. First time with courgettes which are OK but planted too many plants too close together. I didn't realise how big they grew!! Tomatoes were a bit disappointing this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Souness

It has been mixed for me too.
    Peas were good
    Beetroot very good
    Onions excellent
    Spinach bolted early (June) and didnt bother replanting
    Beans cropping well atm, cooler weather seems to agree with them
    Courgette poor fertilisation rate this year, lots of female flowers but very few males.
    Kale is looking good for winter
    Got late kohl rabi starting to show promise
    For me the late cold snaps in May really effected this years productivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Have had fairly good results this year
    Spuds, Queens and Roosters both good
    Onions, great onions almost saved
    Beetroot , have had the first of them this evening, delicious.
    Carrots, really grew well
    Parsnip, disaster set them three times even different seed got only about a dozen to grow
    Courgettes, the finest
    Apples , good crop
    Blackcurrant, also a good crop.
    Lettuce, all gone now but it was good while it lasted
    Celery, almost there but dammed with slugs
    Broccoli, also doing well
    Cabbage/Turnip, never had trouble growing either in previous years but this time both attacked by some type of fly/larvae that has attacked the root causing both to die off, grew the cabbage from seed when I cut the stem found a type of worm inside , anyone with advice to sort this fellow out
    Strawberries, good crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Red Ace, I grew parsnips in a raised bed filled with sieved home made compost, which is very free draining, and they are mighty. Sieving the compost is a chore, but made easier with a rotary sieve. Strangely my Victoria plum didn't even blossom this year, and the pear that didn't fruit last year now have about ten pears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Have had fairly good year too

Spuds- Mizen and Pentland Javelin very good...Other varieties still to dig
    Onions - Very good onions; always seem to do very well for me..must be all the rabbit poop:pac:
    Beetroot - Fairly good, but grew less than last year..
    Carrots - Yet to pull, but look good..
    Courgettes - Too many as usual
    Blackcurrant - good crop.
    Lettuce - Still coming and grew well; lettuce is lettuce tho:)
    Broccoli - Need to find variety that gives stronger bulkier heads.
    Garlic - Good crop
    Strawberries - Not as good as last year
    Tomatoes - an abundance
    Chilllis - as above
    Sweet Peppers - best year in a while
    Cucumbers - very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Grindley

Not such a good year
    Potatoes - very good
    Tomatoes

Sorry I hit the wrong button.
    My potatoes were all grand, with some plants yet to harvest.

Most other things were disappointing though.
    My tomatoes had an enormous harvest but 95% are still green and unharvested.
    The courgettes didn't thrive
    My broad beans, usually so tough, never thrived.

My runner beans have been reasonably satisfactory. This is my first year growing them, and will grow them again. I got a reasonable harvest from my dwarf french beans.

My early radishes were grand but later ones went straight to seed.

The caterpillars got just about all of my cauliflowers - despite netting.

I couldn't keep up with the huge harvest of my indoor chillies.

Still had a great time gardening and will repeat next year (God willing). I really only started vegetable growing three years ago, and learn lots every year.

Next year beans, potatoes, courgettes, maybe 2 tomato plants and possibly sugar snap peas. I will grow less but more carefully.
    Could do worse things

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gerobrien25

Spuds early Duke of York were lovely.
    2nd earlies Queens are good with a bigger crop then last year. Haven't got near the mains yet.
    Lettuce bolted twice, but last sowing of Little Gem and Iceberg have been fine.
    First sowing of carrots never grew, but since then have been fine and are lovely.
    Beetroot, Onion, Brocolli, Leeks, Parsnips, Celery have all been great. I did treat the garden with SuperNemos and everything has been great (bigger and better crops then last year and less eat before picking) except the Cauliflower which keeps getting eat by the slugs. Other then that I'm really happy with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭stooge

First year growing. Bought two builders bags of veggie mix (envirogrind) for 3 raised beds.
    Planted the following:

Bed 1:
    - Potatoes (DOY)

Bed 2:
    - Potatoes
    - Sugar snap Peas
    - Cabbage

Bed 3:
    - Carrots
    - Parsnips
    - Brocolli

also planted the following:
    - strawberries
    - blueberries
    - Lettuce
    - chard

The potatoes grew like mad then wilted severely when we were away on holidays. So much so that I thought it was blight. Cut off all foilage and am still digging then up. Huge yield but next year I may try a different variety.

Cabbage grew like crazy but we dont seem to use it so thats it marked off the list for next year.

Had loads of peas but planted them all at the same time and couldnt get them harvested quick enough. very happy with how they grew though.

carrots were planted too close together but are massive! Brocolli did very well too. Parsnips are still in the ground waiting for the first few frosts before harvesting.

Blueberries have still not ripened. Strawberries never appeared although they were late in.

Biggest lesson learned: Try to stagger planting so that you dont have to harvest everything at the same time. Space things out more so they arent as cramped.

I think the very windy conditions that we sometimes had over the summer also didn't help. Its been a struggle stopping some tall plants from getting squished, even those with cane supports. G

Advertisement