Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Great driving road - East of the country

Options
  • 22-08-2014 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Looking to go for a spin with a couple of mates and a few GoPro's at the weekend. Anyone recommend a decent road ideally on the east side of the county, either north or south of Dublin. I'm guessing up towards sallygap is our best bet.

Googlemaps link would be great! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

What are you looking for in a road, scenery or good twists and turns?

Theres anywhere near Oldbawn heading up the mountains to begin with

Mourne mountains near Newry has fantastic scenery but not so great roads for apirited driving

My personal local "driving road" is Kells to Slane, which is great fun when you know the road well but will catch the unfamiliar out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Try the M50. Covers north and south Dublin. Not too many pot holes either.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

dgt wrote: »
    What are you looking for in a road, scenery or good twists and turns?

Theres anywhere near Oldbawn heading up the mountains to begin with

Mourne mountains near Newry has fantastic scenery but not so great roads for apirited driving

My personal local "driving road" is Kells to Slane, which is great fun when you know the road well but will catch the unfamiliar out ;)

Few twisties is what we're after. Kells to slane sounds good, any googlemaps link or is literally just the kells to slane road?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

goz83 wrote: »
    Try the M50. Covers north and south Dublin. Not too many pot holes either.:D

Find more sheep there though then mountains :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Wicklow Gap. A great route is turn off the N11 (heading South) at Kilmacanogue (Sugar Loaf) and head for Roundwood, then Annamoe and Laragh, then over the Wicklow Gap (R756) for Hollywood and back along the N81 through Blessington.

Used to do this all the time on the motorbike. The Wicklow Gap was used for the Tour de France so the road is (was!) great.

• Advertisement

username?! wrote: »
    Few twisties is what we're after. Kells to slane sounds good, any googlemaps link or is literally just the kells to slane road?

Well, seeing as it's a local road to me, I'm slightly biased :pac: The road goes from Kells to Kilberry to Slane, seperated by a junction at Kilberry. However, Kells to Kilberry wouldn't be as twisty as Kilbery to Slane.

If you want out and outright twists, try Athboy to Delvin :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

curiousb wrote: »
    Wicklow Gap. A great route is turn off the N11 (heading South) at Kilmacanogue (Sugar Loaf) and head for Roundwood, then Annamoe and Laragh, then over the Wicklow Gap (R756) for Hollywood and back along the N81 through Blessington.

Used to do this all the time on the motorbike. The Wicklow Gap was used for the Tour de France so the road is (was!) great.

x2

Scenic and very twisty in parts with good surface, anyone going out for the sake of driving would enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,875 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

curiousb wrote: »

For the last few months the road has been full of cyclists. Not too bad on a motorbike but hell in a car, watch out for more than two abreast around blind corners and zero checks when turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Meso Harney

Glenealy to Arklow is brilliant in light traffic, wrong time of year for you tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Over the hill from kilmeague to Newbridge - it's short, but it's epic. My favorite twisty bit of tarmac in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Over the hill from kilmeague to Newbridge - it's short, but it's epic. My favorite twisty bit of tarmac in the country.

Lovely stretch of road although the speed bumps through Allen are in a desperate state at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Over the Sally gap from Hollywood to laragh is also class if you get open road. I followed a Ducati 1100 over in my MR2 a few weeks back, that Ducati rider could really handle his bike. The road was empty, bone dry and the sun was shining. Up there on my list of memorable drives. And if you were the rider on the Ducati, I tip my hat to you Sir, there's not too much that stretches the legs of my MR - I was the petrol blue one you gave the thumbs up to just after Laragh. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Over the Sally gap from Hollywood to laragh is also class if you get open road.
    That's the Wicklow Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

dgt wrote: »
    Well, seeing as it's a local road to me, I'm slightly biased :pac: The road goes from Kells to Kilberry to Slane, seperated by a junction at Kilberry. However, Kells to Kilberry wouldn't be as twisty as Kilbery to Slane.

I used to live/work out that way myself and remember that road well.. pretty good alright as long as you're paying attention. I'd say I drove most of the roads in Meath back then. Navan-Rath Cairn if I remember right was lots of "fun" too as it was more like a rollercoaster in parts with some of it sinking.
    If you want out and outright twists, try Athboy to Delvin :cool:
    This one I used to hate though.. bit TOO much work! :p

OSI wrote: »
    My folks live out that road. It's a wreck. Last time I was out there as a driver I spent most of the journey doing less than 50 trying to avoid the unbelievable amount of massive potholes. They got so bad at one point that the folks used to drive in to Athboy to guide people out to best avoid the potholes.

Remember Athboy before they did up the main street....? Last years St Patrick's parade was canceled as the surface was so bad :eek::eek::eek:

I remember driving to Delvin to get a Mars bar when I was in my van and the fun I had was unreal. All I'd say there is if you get stuck behind someone it becomes a nasty experience. Haven't been on that road in a while (I'll go round through Clonmellon instead) so I can't comment on the surface

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Kells to ardee is a decent road for a spin too.
    Good surface and plenty of twisties to keep u busy.

Advertisement