Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade from Parts Suggestions

Options
  • 22-08-2014 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking to upgrade/swap out my 2nd PC (my fiancés PC tbh)
    At present it's a Dell 5150 with an upgraded HDD (1TB) Graphics Card (1GB card from 4 years back) and double the ram (2x2GB I think) and Windows 7 64bit.
    I'll get the exact models/specs later when I get home to provide more clarity

I still have all the original Dell5150 parts so I'd like to basically upgrade her PC and re-build the original Dell5150 and sell it on for cheaply (€80 maybe) to re-coup some of the money.

My budget €300

Required:
    Tower
    Optical Drive
    PSU
    Mobo
    Processor

Optional:
    SSD (maybe just 120GB to run Windows off and use the 1TB HDD as storage)

Have:
    HDD
    Graphics card
    Operating system
    RAM
    Peripherals (M/KB, Monitor, Speakers)

This is not a serious gaming build, it needs to run the internet, MS Office, Sims 2 and some other not system intensive games.

I do however need to have a MoBo or sound card that can support the:
    Dell Original MMS 5650 5.1 CHANNEL Surround Sound
    http://www.manualowl.com/m/Dell/5650/Manual/293038

Was looking at this as a starting point:
    http://www.adverts.ie/towers/pc-tower-with-psu-cd-drive-and-audio-cable/6126089

You guys helped me build me main €1,000+ gaming rig which I love so all suggestions and advice welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Firstly the Dell 5150 is an old model so you're best off just selling it exactly as it is. It's sort of hard to give advice when you haven't provided any specs at all but from the sounds of it, just sell it as it is and start a brand new build. The ram will not be compatiable with any new build, the hard drive would be however - impossible to tell if its worth keeping the video card when you've not said what it is. If its four years old and ran on a Dell stock PSU though the odds are it's not worth keeping either.

For those needs you will easily build a whole new PC for €300-350.

However if your only uses are the internet and Sims 2 I don't see the point of upgrading at all! Maybe an SSD which would make a massive difference but otherwise not really. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

For those needs you will easily build a whole new PC for €300-350

Gladly If I knew what to get :)
    All I'll be keeping so for the new build are the HDD and OS

Regarding selling on the existing Dell 5150, I can sell as is or put some of the original parts i kept back in, I'm easy either way

I'll give the specific parts later once I get home

Advertisement