Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Laptops

Options
  • 22-08-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Im a total noob when it comes to laptops and now I gotta get one for 1st year in college. Eek :P I heard UCC students get half off on Dell laptops but is that actually true? Anyother places people know that laptops are reasonable ? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The dell website itself has some good deals . Dell Inspiron 15 for 250 euro if you are looking for something cheap
    That will do the job.

Does anyone know if the college can order laptops or get discounts . I haven't bought one yet but need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

a cheap laptop is nice but it is VITAL that it is a good one, especially for college. There is nothing more frustrating than a laptop that can't handle what you're trying to do , whether it be downloading something, doing a project or even surfing the web.

imo, ultimately, it's all about the processor , the higher the RAM is the better as well but mainly a decent processor will mean a decent laptop. i personally wouldn't go below an Intel i5 but they tend to be pricey. Definitely not below an i3, anything else isn't worth the hassle it'll cause, trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JenMol

Check out campus.ie !! Its gives discounts that you can avail of through college. Doubt you'll get a Dell laptop half price. From my four years in UCC this website shows the discounts you can get through the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Heard off a few people that campus.ie are massively overpriced, make sure to shop around anyway before you commit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

Checkout Amazon Warehouse for reduced price like new used laptops. Got one recently which was around 200 euro off the normal asking price but was still in the plastic stuff they wrap new electronics in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Lenovo have some good deals aswell for the price . There is a 10 percent off code for students . They look very impressive spec wise .
    I have a dell Inspiron at home and it is good . So I'm not ruling out dell .
    So difficult to make a decision . I mean I could buy a macbook but they cost so much . I just couldn't justify spending over 1k on a laptop .
    I want to spend between the 500-700 euro zone .

Edit : Lenovo code doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Have a think about what you'll use the laptop for.

Word docs, reading pdfs, email/internet? light duty
    Will you carry it around? maybe stay with 14" and under
    Will you be doing heavy duty coding/media editing? dedicated gfx
    Watching dvds? you need an optical drive
    Watching netflix or other media? check the gfx specs
    Presentations maybe you should make sure it has VGA out

All of these things will help you to decide what you actually need from a laptop. If you won't use the optical drive, don't bother with one. If it's not heavy duty maybe a cheap and cheerful laptop from Tesco will do. Or maybe a nice light Chromebook with massive battery life (that's what I want for my next laptop) would do - keep all your docs in the cloud and store media on a passport or similar external hard drive.

Don't spend a fortune unless you really need to.

Advertisement