Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus IS220D Service Recommendations

Options
  • 22-08-2014 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 2007 Lexus IS220D. I had it fully serviced after I bought it earlier in the year. I did it in a Lexus main dealer just because it needed a fair amount of stuff done urgently and I couldn't find anyone else I trusted.

I found them fairly poor to be honest. They also charged a high price. After driving around 15,000km (mostly motorways) since then I'm approaching another service interval (albeit just oil and filters) and I was wondering if anyone would recommend an Indy who is good at servicing such cars.

The engine has a fairly well-known head gasket issue so I want to make sure the car is well looked after. I saw it mentioned on Boards before that updating the engine software in a main dealer helps avoid that and other problems, can Indy's do this also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

Hi all,

I have a 2007 Lexus IS220D. I had it fully serviced after I bought it earlier in the year. I did it in a Lexus main dealer just because it needed a fair amount of stuff done urgently and I couldn't find anyone else I trusted.

I found them fairly poor to be honest. They also charged a high price. After driving around 15,000km (mostly motorways) since then I'm approaching another service interval (albeit just oil and filters) and I was wondering if anyone would recommend an Indy who is good at servicing such cars.

The engine has a fairly well-known head gasket issue so I want to make sure the car is well looked after. I saw it mentioned on Boards before that updating the engine software in a main dealer helps avoid that and other problems, can Indy's do this also?

I don't know enough about the Lexus dealer network in the Republic of Ireland but the dealer network in the UK has a good reputation. Assuming that you don't live too far from Northern Ireland, would it be worth your while finding a Northern Ireland Lexus dealer to service your car?

Lexus UK servicing prices are competitive and, as with BMW and some other brands, Lexus UK is keen to keep older cars in the Lexus dealer network, so the cost of replacement wear and tear parts is discounted.

See Lexus UK website > Owners > Lexus servicing > Fixed Price Promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Where are you located?

The software update would have to be done by a main dealer.

It is highly unlikely that software will prevent a head gasket issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Hi all,

Get yourself a techstream tis obd2 (google it) on eBay.

This allows you access the ecu like a main dealer and discover and resolve most issues very easily. I have one of those cars with 330k km and it's been very very reliable. If you allow the engine to heat up properly before driving hard and cool down before turning it off you'll have very little issues.

The car is very easy to self service. Cleaning yhe egr valve is easy and should be done on every second service. Pm me if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Where are you located?

The software update would have to be done by a main dealer.

It is highly unlikely that software will prevent a head gasket issue though.

I'm located in west Dublin.

Yeah the software update seemed like a bit of a hard sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

I'm located in west Dublin.

Yeah the software update seemed like a bit of a hard sell.

The software upgrade will fix some EGR issues and some hard start issues along with better idle conditions.
    There hasn't been a new version in the last 18 months, chances are you have the latest version, there should be a white sticker under your bonnet on one of the engine covers with your current ecu CAL if it's been upgraded in this country, I have all these files. I worked in a Lexus main dealer for 16 years. Nothing will prevent the HG issue IMO, the latest software will help DPF and EGR issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    The software upgrade will fix some EGR issues and some hard start issues along with better idle conditions.
    There hasn't been a new version in the last 18 months, chances are you have the latest version, there should be a white sticker under your bonnet on one of the engine covers with your current ecu CAL if it's been upgraded in this country, I have all these files. I worked in a Lexus main dealer for 16 years. Nothing will prevent the HG issue IMO, the latest software will help DPF and EGR issues

Is that usually a sticker on the ecu itself Padraig?

Do you know what revision is the latest one?

Most dealers just stuck it on the cover, latest for the executive model was 35335600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

The head gasket issue is from carbon build up in the cylinders. The pistons eventually stamp the carbon build up into the head causing grief. You need to give it a good hard run every so often to burn off the carbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Do the same issues affect the IS200d too as I presume the 200d is just a detuned version of the same unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

Same engine afaik you would think the issue would be fixed as its well flagged,although bmw didn't sort their issue with the new model 5.

• Advertisement

Same engine with modified pistons and has a throttle type egr so doesn't have any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think if Lexus had any real interest in diesel engines they would not have fitted that unit in the first place. It was an afterthought to sell units in Europe.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think if Lexus had any real interest in diesel engines they would not have fitted that unit in the first place. It was an afterthought to sell units in Europe.

Yeah I agree! Think they did too! That's why they cut the cut diesel option altogether! Petrol/hybrid or hydrogen will be all they offer for awhile!

Advertisement