Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Struggling to stop

• 22-08-2014 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Guys I've been drinking and doing drugs for 15 years now, I like to stop but I am really struggling. I really want to end this cycle after 2-3 days I am relapsing I really want to end my addiction, I haven't tried any methods yet. any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭julan

Some of my friends are suggesting me to go to a drug addiction rehab treatment. Should I go already?

Something I'm finding useful now in tackling my overeating problem, a problem which has got worse since finally giving up alcohol last New Year's Day, is something Allen Carr said in his Lose Weight Now book: if you see giving up as deprivation rather than opportunity you're making your task a lot harder. Really try and embrace that idea.

There's a hell of a lot of reverse psychology needed by all of us in overcoming addictions of various types, addictions nourished by an incredible amount of brainwashing in our culture particularly in relation to alcohol. Carr has a book on alcohol which many people here swear by. His weight book was absolute torture to read as it's written horrendously. But, there are nuggets of wisdom there which stick with me. I surmise much of his alcohol book is the same thinking applied to alcohol.

As for rehab, I thought of that at the start of the year, as an earlier post here by me indicates, but I thought I'd just be postponing the hard work I, and I alone, need to do on myself. I've survived without it by avoiding all places where alcohol was sold insofar as possible and keeping myself busy on a new project (learning a language) and ensuring there is never alcohol in our home. I don't talk to anybody about it except on this forum but, and I think this is the crucial point, I see the entire process of not drinking as something essential for me to become a productive, happy person. I see not drinking as gifting myself freedom. I do not feel deprived by not drinking any more. I feel full of potential. I know I need to work on my weight, exercise and integrate spirituality into my life, but I feel I can get on top of those three because I'm no longer a prisoner of drinking every day to the point of being unproductive. I'm just thinking now as I write and I think I'm viewing the entire process of giving up alcohol as freeing me to make a more productive, and thus richer, life. Because that is the reward, I don't feel deprived. Try and see the process of giving up alcohol as a process of giving yourself freedom, productivity and so many other positive attributes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Julan I won't bullshìt you because you don't deserve it so I'll be frank. You realise you have to stop but considering how long you've been 'on a session' (for lack of a better term) the best way forward is probably professional help.
    The fact that you realise you need to change is a massive step in the right direction though you mightn't realise it.

Stay strong bud, you've plenty of support on boards..

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LeonardNelson

If you really want to get out of this go ahead and take a step forward. If you think that you need professional help at drug addiction rehab treatment then stop wasting your time and go!

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jimmyRotator

I was the exact same Julian, rampant drink and drug use for 15 years and quit 3 years ago with the help of AA. I didnt attend a treatment centre.

Send me a pm if you're interested and I can recommend decent meetings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I was the exact same Julian, rampant drink and drug use for 15 years and quit 3 years ago with the help of AA. I didnt attend a treatment centre.

Send me a pm if you're interested and I can recommend decent meetings.

I'm also in AA, sober two years and have never been happier. Approach it with an open mind (i.e don't let all the God bothering references turn you off) and you'll do well.

PM me also if you want to know more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jimmyRotator

Everlong1 wrote: »
    don't let all the God bothering references turn you off) and you'll do well.

Im hardcore atheist and AA has still helped me massively. AA lets you choose your own concept of a higher power, which can be anything, dead loved one, nature, the universe, God as you do or do not understand him.

Thank you so much for your advices guys, I decided to go to a drug rehab. I am really lucky to have a lot of real friends. They actually enrolled me to a rehab that will start on monday. I am really thankful to them, they save some of their money just to help me out. I feel so blessed

Advertisement