Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK regestration tax question

Options
  • 22-08-2014 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I own a UK import car.

The tax would have been originally paid in the UK.
    The VRT tax was paid here when it was impoted a few years ago, but I am now moving to the UK in the November.

Will I be charged again for the tax or since it was a UK car before it wont be charged.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

mcdonnst wrote: »
    I own a UK import car.

The tax would have been originally paid in the UK.
    The VRT tax was paid here when it was impoted a few years ago, but I am now moving to the UK in the November.

Will I be charged again for the tax or since it was a UK car before it wont be charged.

Thanks

What tax are you referring to? UK equivalent of VRT? It's only something like £50 to register a car in the UK anyway :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

You will have to get it UK insured, UK MOTed and then bring the paperwork to the DVLA office who will then issue a UK reg number and let you pay the road fund licence there and then. There is a form, but you can request it to be sent to your UK address. You may be able to do this by post, but I'd do it in person.

As it had previously a UK identity you will probably get the old reg number back. The MOT station may have to know this to do the MOT as some systems require a reg number to do an MOT. Ditto the insurance broker. Yes, I can see the obvious problem there, but don't worry about it - it'll sort itself out.

Oh, and there's no fee for putting the car back on the UK system, they take the attitude that the fee was paid when FIRST registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Don't forget you can now get a refund on the VRT charge if you are exporting car back to the UK. (Minus a 500 euro admin fee)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Harcrid wrote: »
    Don't forget you can now get a refund on the VRT charge if you are exporting car back to the UK. (Minus a 500 euro admin fee)

500 euro admin fee ... Jesus ... and people complain about Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭AlbionCat

Hi mcdonnst

In theory, if the vehicle was originally purchased/new vehicle registered in the UK, then there should be no tax/fee. The challenge may be in proving the vehicle was previously registered in the UK.

I have been through this process recently so here is my experience

My Scenario - I brought my UK reg car with me to Ireland in 2011 - re-regged onto ROI plates and returned to the UK in Dec 2013 with my car. I planned on re-regging the car back onto UK plates, but waited until the Irish NCT/tax/Insurance was expiring - this was potentially a big mistake on my part.

Please note - if you are importing a car into the UK, you are obliged to notify HMRC (UK Customs and Revenue) within 14 days - any day over this period and they will penalise you at £5 per day, upto a maximum of £500.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/personal-vehicles.htm

(It is possible to appeal this penalty - I can not promise you will be successful though).

The process is generally as follows:-

1. Notify HMRC - use the online NOVA system if you can. You may need to regsiter to do this and I can not remember if you need a UK National Insurance number or not. The link below tells you how to register - it also mentions about the VAT on what amounts to second hand vehicles. You need your chassis number.
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/personal-vehicles.htm#1
    Wait a couple of days and then contact the DVLA (Step 2)

2. Ring the DVLA - wade your way through the menu system to a voice and ask for an "Import Pack for a used vehicle" - the delay is necessary as they have to cross check that a request has made on the HMRC system and then passed to the DVLA. The import pack should contain the various forms and may also include forms for a NEW vehicle as well (ignore these). It should also include a guide for how to fill the form in. At this stage, have a good read but don't fill anything in. Make a note of all the documents you need to provide, besides the MOT and Insurance. (More of this below).

While you are on the phone, get them to double check the tax disc costs and bear in mind the only options are 6 or 12 months.
    DVLA Contact page https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla

3. MOT - go get an MOT - it will have to be issued on the chassis number. Dependant on how au fait your garage is, you may need to do some persuading that this possible. When the vehicle is successfully re-registered a replacement MOT certificate will be sent out.

4. Insurance - you have to get insurance before you can apply for the new registration and tax disc. I struggled with this and ended using Adrian Flux who (to be fair) offered a reasonably comprehensive package even if it was a little on the high side.

5. Once you have the MOT & Insurance you can start on the Import Pack forms.

Some guidance:-

They need originals - so photocopy your MOT / Print out the certificates from the insurance websites.

A Certificate of Conformity may be required for the vehicle to indicate it is suitable for the UK. (Google it - they are around E200!!) Read the notes that accompany the forms as there are alternatives to this certificate - usually if the vehicle has been registered in the UK originally and you have evidence of either the original V5/reg doc or at least its original registration number this may help.

This certificate contains lots of info about the CO2, laden weights etc., hence having a reference to the vehicles previous UK reg will help a great deal. (In my case I just kept putting "See previous reg XX 12 XXX" and included a photocopy of the original V5 I had before I put the vehicle onto UK plates).

First Registration Fee - £55 - according to a letter I received from DVLA I did not have to pay this as the vehicle had previously been registered in the UK. This meant I only had to pay the Car Tax. (In my case 6 months £71.50)

For the docs I had to include copy of passport, driving license, council tax bill, Irish Registration document.

When you fill the forms out, you will also need to include a cheque for the car tax for the vehicle. If you forgot to ask the DVLA what your car tax would be at step 2 you can try the following links and work it out yourself:

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-vehicle-tax-rates
    http://carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/

If you don't have a UK bank account yet, you could try postal orders to the value of the car tax disc.

I would say think very carefully about the importing - it is a bit of a faff. If you get stuck with the late notification penalty (up to £500) and are unsuccessful in an appeal, that is an added cost. I also realise that selling the old car in Ireland and buying new in the UK might not be practical for you, so I do understand. (We did my car because I have owned it for the last 10 years - I know EXACTLY where it has been). In hind sight though I perhaps would not have imported my car to RoI in the first place, but hey - I am an honest person.

If you want a run down of what it cost me:-

Vehicle value (About £1000)

Car tax - £71.50 (6 months)
    Insurance £448.00 (1 year)
    MOT - £50.00
    Late Penalty - £500 (successfully appealed and reduced to NIL)

If I had no been successful in the appeal then it would not have been worth me re-regging the vehicle back in the UK.

Anyway - hope this helps. If I can be of help with those forms, let me know. I still have scanned copies of mine, so I can see what you can see.

AC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It makes no difference whether the car was previously registered in the UK. An Irish registered car does not attract tax in any form on import to the UK, just that modest fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

corktina wrote: »
    It makes no difference whether the car was previously registered in the UK. An Irish registered car does not attract tax in any form on import to the UK, just that modest fee.

It might not make any financial difference but when we imported two vehicles - one UK original and one IE original - in 2012 the UK one was much easier as no certificate of conformity was required and it got its original plates back. Incidentally Honda sent us the CoC for the IE vehicle for free.
    Now I remember that the UK DVLA sent us the £55 cheque back for the UK car too.

That NOVA requirement must be new since 2012.

The other thing to check is whether the insurance on the chassis number may only be valid for travel to/from the MoT centre!!!

Of course the irony is that one of these cars is now back on its IE plates again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It might not make any financial difference but when we imported two vehicles - one UK original and one IE original - in 2012 the UK one was much easier as no certificate of conformity was required and it got its original plates back. Incidentally Honda sent us the CoC for the IE vehicle for free.
    Now I remember that the UK DVLA sent us the £55 cheque back for the UK car too.

That NOVA requirement must be new since 2012.

The other thing to check is whether the insurance on the chassis number may only be valid for travel to/from the MoT centre!!!

Of course the irony is that one of these cars is now back on its IE plates again!

the title is about registration tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭GSBellew

corktina wrote: »
    the title is about registration tax.

That may be, but it's no harm that the op is filled in on the process of registering the car there.

The NOVA for example would be easily overlooked.

If it's a newish or oddball car they will request an invoice for proof of value, older ones they don't really ask. Curious how this will work though as there will be no invoice as it's a transfer of a personal asset from here to the uk.
    From memory I think there is an option for that, will log into the system on Monday in work & see.

As for the first registration fee, as has already been stated it's £55 but in the case of a car previously registered in the UK it's free.
    The old Uk number should be on the Irish log book.
    DVLA local offices are now closed, it's postal application only, you will need proof of address, identity etc and the form V55/5

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/new-registrations

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭mcdonnst

Thanks for al the help guys, clears it up for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement