Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Am trying to leave SIPTU

Options
  • 22-08-2014 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi,
    I signed up to Siptu about a year ago and dont really see the point in being in the organization any more. Can anyone tell me how to leave it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Call them?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stop paying your subs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

I don't think this is a legal matter. As already said, stop paying subs and/or letter of resignation.

Constitutionally, Bunreacht na hEireann guarantees right of freedom of citizens in workplace to join/form unions - which has been affirmed in the courts as also guaranteeing a right of freedom to dissociate. Any troubles if you go ahead and resign - and I wouldn't expect there will be - point out the relevant legal cases.

(I must admit, personally, I think as a very general principle are more benefits to staying in a union, if it is the norm in a particular workplace/position/rank).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

porsche959 wrote: »
    Constitutionally, Bunreacht na hEireann guarantees right of freedom of citizens in workplace to join/form unions - which has been affirmed in the courts as also guaranteeing a right of freedom to dissociate.

+1 I believe this case concerned an employee of CIE who held a position in which all of the people in that grade were members of one union. The employee resigned from the union and was sacked.

The High/Supreme Court held that the right to disassociate was a natural extension of the right to associate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

From the thread title, I imagined they had you tied up in the basement of Liberty Hall...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

You can never leave..........

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

It's not a cult, phone them or send a letter/e mail quoting your member number etc expressing your wish to cancel membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tell your payroll people to stop deducting the subs, simple.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Nothing to do with this forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement