Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it possible to switch from Manual to Automatic lessons?

Options
  • 21-08-2014 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I've been learning for a while in manual and I am in constant difficulty with it.

Granted I haven't cause any accidents and I'm very slowly getting better at it.

I feel like at this stage I've taken far too long at it.

I know that it's a cop out and even if I passed, I'd only ever be allowed to use automatic cars.

However if I'm taking too long and it's causing too much difficulty, then would it be better for me to just make the switch to automatic?

It's like if a student is having difficulty doing a subject in higher level, then sometimes it's better form them to go down to ordinary and pass rather than fail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yes, you can switch if you want to. But if you sit (and pass) your test in an automatic car you will only be given a license to drive automatic cars. You won't be licensed to drive manual cars, if you decide to give manuals a go later on. You also won't be able to drive other peoples cars, if they are manuals. You'll have to resit the test in a manual car, if you want a manual license.

If you stick with it and you pass your test, you can drive any car you want. No one is going force you to drive automatics or only "let" you drive automatics. Whether or not you chose to do so is entirely up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭TheDruidWizard

Thanks man. My test is in a few days (manual test), which I'm not that confident about.

Afterwards I'd have a long think about it and I'll consult with some of the instructors.

I'm not really all that keen on driving. I feel like it's more of a chore that I just need to learn for the sake of it.

Obviously it would be great to pass in manual and it would give me plenty of options. But if it's taking too long and I'm not that good at it. Then perhaps I should switch to automatic just to get it over with.

If your test is that near, I wouldn't advise switching at this late stage. Driving an automatic car is a lot easier, but it is a different style of driving. It can take a while to get used to it, if you have never driven one before. Talk to your instructor about switching and see what he says. He can probably tell you better than I can whether or not you should make the switch this close to the test.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Your instructor should really be helping you with this. What is the problem? Finding gears or clutching?

Oh no sorry, I'm not switching for the test.

What I mean is, I have the test scheduled for manual in a few days. Which I'm going to do anyway.

Likely I won't pass it as I don't feel skilled enough.

Then ....after the manual test is finished I'll make the switch to do automatic lessons and then in the future, do a second driving test in automatic.

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    What is the problem? Finding gears or clutching?

Changing gears and then trying to keep observations all around at the same time.

Then slowing down and changing gears through the process and trying to do it without coasting or stopping over the white line.

Also knowing/forgetting when to change gears. For example driving through a housing estate but there children about. So you have to slow down but stay in third gear. Then change down for ramps and then up again for when you've cleared them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Changing gears and then trying to keep observations all around at the same time.

Then slowing down and changing gears through the process and trying to do it without coasting or stopping over the white line.

Also knowing/forgetting when to change gears. For example driving through a housing estate but there children about. So you have to slow down but stay in third gear. Then change down for ramps and then up again for when you've cleared them.

Do you have to look at the gear stick each time? You should know when the car is in the wrong gear by simply listening to the engine or glancing to the rev counter.

When driving in an estate you shouldn't be going faster than 30kmph so you'll only be in second gear anyway.

When coming to a stop you can block shift from a high gear directly into a low gear as you brake to an appropriate speed. If you're in fourth and simply brske the car isn't going to do anything other than slow down. You can then shift into first as you get to an appropriate speed.

Oh no sorry, I'm not switching for the test.

What I mean is, I have the test scheduled for manual in a few days. Which I'm going to do anyway.

Likely I won't pass it as I don't feel skilled enough.

Then ....after the manual test is finished I'll make the switch to do automatic lessons and then in the future, do a second driving test in automatic.

OP, how much practice driving are you doing? If you are having problems with you observations and knowing what speed to be going, is it possible that the problem is lack of overall know how & experience and, not just how to drive a manual car?

Anyhoo, its entirely up to you. Just remember if you pass your test in an automatic, that is all you will be licensed to drive. You will only be able to buy & drive an automatic car. You also won't be able to drive your partners car, your friends cars or other family members cars, unless they drive automatics too. So think hard before you decide to go down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

It is easier to drive automatic and it does not take a lot of getting used to. But I would not advise it. They are more expensive to buy, run and repair. ADIs using automatics are few and far between. See how the test goes. If you are close to test standard consider trying again in manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

When I was learning to drive, someone gave me a "trick" for gear changing if you're not used to the "feel" of where the different gears are.

Turn your left hand so the thumb is facing down. Use that position for 1st and 2nd gear as you will push the gear stick away from you and get into first/second. For 5th/reverse (depending on your car), turn your hand the opposite way - thumb up, so you're pulling the gear stick towards you.

For third and fourth put your hand on top of the gear stick normally and they're just straight up and down - no pushing or pulling.

Get someone (not someone you're paying) to sit beside you with the car switched off, and call out gears. Keep your foot on the clutch and change gears with your eyes closed until you can do it without effort/thinking. That will let you concentrate on your observations, without having to think about the gears. You can even practice when you're not in a car. Think "4th to 3rd to 2nd" and make the movements.

You can also play a game where (again, car switched off), you sit in the drivers seat with your eyes closed and the clutch in, and have someone else put the car in a random gear, and you have to figure out which one it is by feel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement