Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childrens Detention Centre

Options
  • 21-08-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Don't know if I'm in the right place. Feel free to direct this elsewhere if not. Thanks.

Just wanted to find out more about the Children's Detention Centre in Oberstown and what it's like to work there. Is there anyone on here that has any experience? Or know anyone that has? Feel free to PM if so.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

gardapa wrote: »
    Don't know if I'm in the right place. Feel free to direct this elsewhere if not. Thanks.

Just wanted to find out more about the Children's Detention Centre in Oberstown and what it's like to work there. Is there anyone on here that has any experience? Or know anyone that has? Feel free to PM if so.

Thanks
    The position you've applied for will be in a new detention centre currently being built. It is all a new way of doing things they're closing down St Patricks institution next year and any offenders under 18 will be catered for in Oberstown

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

D Trent wrote: »
    The position you've applied for will be in a new detention centre currently being built. It is all a new way of doing things they're closing down St Patricks institution next year and any offenders under 18 will be catered for in Oberstown

Thanks for the reply. Kinda looking for specifics though, like what the hours are like or what would be involved in the shifts. What the duties are etc.

Did you get offered a position?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

There has been a high turnover of staff at Oberstown over the years, your dealing with anti-social disaffected youth from various backgrounds.

I.e. Lots of anti social behavioural problems, attitude from your customers.

Its a detention centre afterall, not sure on the hours of operation but would imagine it would be a rotating roster, Day, Evening, Night shifts split over 8 hour shifts or just a day/ night 12 hours shift..

If you have a calm, cool headed personality with plenty of patience it could be for you.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0623/458364-oberstown-ombudsman/

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2013-09-19a.69

According to these articles there has been rostering problems, high staff absence due to sickness, staff assaults, poor morale, poor security procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

All i'll say is that you need patience... Lots and lots of patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

PM do you have any experience working here? Really just looking for hours of work, set up, duties etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't work there, but i know who gets sent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Given that the courts of this country North and South are extremely reluctant to hand out any custodial sentences to juveniles and see this as a last resort of last resorts you don't really need a vivid imagination to realise what you'll be dealing with. Be ready to grow some serious rhino skin and pay attention during your restraint and control classes.

Advertisement