Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1,100 build for gaming. First gaming PC since 2003

Options
  • 21-08-2014 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget?
    €1,100

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Gaming. The latest stuff. Looking forward to things like The Witcher 3 and whatever else 2015 brings. I could list more, but that's the most demanding one I can think of atm, since it's not even out until next year. GTAV, Far Cry 4, etc. Illustrator and Photoshop as well, but nothing as taxing as the gaming.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    Yes.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    No. I currently use a laptop.

5. Do you need a monitor?
    Yes. I would like to use a monitor that could double up as a display for an Xbox, so in addition to HDMI, I would like a way to get audio from the monitor to speaker/earphones.

5a. If yes, what size do you need.
    I suppose if I'm going to use the monitor to play FIFA and watch TV, maybe a 24'. Won't be the main TV/console monitor, would rather have just one monitor for those. I'm so long out of PC gaming, maybe 24' is overkill. Maybe someone can advise?

6. Peripherals needed:
    Keyboard, mouse and wireless card and speakers. Not a competitive gamer, so I am not looking to go mad with the keyb/mouse. Typing this on a bog standard dell keyboard and am very comfortable with it. Not against buying a gaming keyboard and mouse, but I haven't liked the ones I've tried. Definitely the lower end of the gaming ones, if it is worth the premium.

Speakers that can be plugged into the monitor would be preferable. Not an essential part of the initial build. I might just buy those locally, but if the price online is good, why not like.

I can borrow a DVD drive from another machine to install windows if needs be.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    Yes, but I won't decide on that until I learn more about it, see what the risks are etc.

8. How can you pay?
    Bank transfer, Visa Debit or favours of a sexual nature.

9. When are you purchasing?
    Aiming for 2 weeks from today. I want to give myself time to decide and a bit of a cooling off period. I'm not waiting for prices to go down or value to get better, I just want to make the best possible choice with how things are currently.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    I should be able to research everything properly and do it myself, with help, but not in person. I will probably take pics and all that to help anyone thinking about it themselves.

I haven't got my heard set on any particular setup, as I know just enough to know that I don't know what I'm talking about.

I suppose an SSD / HDD combo is standard enough these days at the higher end of gaming?

Which version of windows 8 should I get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Build on HV.

HV20Y459DE Intel Core i5-4590 in-a-Box 175,55 €
    HV1135REDE ASRock H87 Pro4, Sockel 1150, ATX 68,24 €
    HV20CO73DE 8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800U CL9 83,33 €
    HV203O15DE Corsair Carbide Series 200R, ATX, ohne Netzteil 48,00 €
    HVR700AFDE Aerocool GT-S Series Netzteil, 80Plus Bronze, modular - 700 Watt 79,22 €
    HV1035SDDE Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC mit MANTLE und Gaming Evolved Client, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI,DisplayPort, full retail 400,39 €
    HV13SB71DE Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s 49,81 €
    HV12SEV1DE Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 120GB SATA 6Gb/s 64,99 €
    HV207GB4DE LG GH24NS bare schwarz 12,68 €
    HV21ZS53DE BenQ XL2411Z 279,00 €
    HV202SNWDE Sharkoon Nightwriter Keyboard 22,88 €
    HV20300EDE Logitech M318e corded Laser Mouse black 15,99 €
    HV27LS21DE Logitech LS21 2.1 Speaker System 24,48 €

I'm sure there is a million things wrong with this build, but that is why I need help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Actually, it looks pretty good to me.

I don't really have any comment to make on the monitor/keyboard/mouse as I'm somewhat out of the loop with what's good value for money in those areas, but the build itself looks fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Keyboard might be german layout if buying from hardwareversand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Keyboard might be german layout if buying from hardwareversand

Yeah, I was thinking of buying them locally or from another site anyway. I put them in to keep the whole build in one place so the HV total would be close enough to the full cost.

Advertisement