Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel astra 1.6L 2006

Options
  • 21-08-2014 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have Opel Astra 1.6L 2006 automatic model (hatchback). Recently I noticed the car won't start at once, i have to turn off the ignition and try again then the engine starts.
    Also, few days ago on the tachometer it was indicating car repair symbol but it has disappeared now.
    Could it be battery is going to die soon? I changed the battery about 8 months ago only.

When i insert the car key all red lights are ON the tachometer, is it normal? :confused: I am attaching picture of tachometer before and after starting the engine.

Before:

4vk8sk.jpg

After:

2m440sw.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭masterboy123

anyone please have suggestion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

again it really could be anything only a mechanic can tell you on inspection, if the car is losing power instantly as you drive and being hard started would be the crank sensor OK , but you have to rule out a lot first like yes test volts at battery when the car is running and also when not ( 12.5ish not started and 14.4ish when started , is the fuel filter clogged or pump not working as well as it should , are the sparkplugs good, is the air filter clean and on and on and on ... so best bring it to see a doctor that has the equipment to run such as tests ;) best of luck now

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

You need to check for trouble codes. If you get in the car, put your feet on the accelerator and brake at the same time and hold them all the way down. With both pedals pressed turn the ignition on so all the lights come on but dont start the car. Watch the mileage display and you should see it flash the codes to you. It will say ECM and numbers below. If it is all zeros there are no codes stored. By the description of your problem I would say you will have 1616 and 1614 stored. If you have them they are a fault with the immobiliser and you will need a software update. Let me know what codes come up and I will let you know what could be wrong.

Thanks Lucifer,
    I will do this task tomorrow morning first thing. I will take picture and upload here.
    Your help is much appreciated.
    Lucifer wrote: »
    You need to check for trouble codes. If you get in the car, put your feet on the accelerator and brake at the same time and hold them all the way down. With both pedals pressed turn the ignition on so all the lights come on but dont start the car. Watch the mileage display and you should see it flash the codes to you. It will say ECM and numbers below. If it is all zeros there are no codes stored. By the description of your problem I would say you will have 1616 and 1614 stored. If you have them they are a fault with the immobiliser and you will need a software update. Let me know what codes come up and I will let you know what could be wrong.

I saw :
    ECN 161450 followed by 161600.
    After 3 seconds it was 000000.

What could be wrong?

• Advertisement

You need a software update done on the car. You will need the security code found on your car pass which should be with the service books. Where are you based?

I have car pass...
    How much would it cost? Is it an urgent issue?
    I am based in Kilkenny city.
    Lucifer wrote: »
    You need a software update done on the car. You will need the security code found on your car pass which should be with the service books. Where are you based?

Leaving it the way it is won't cause any further damage. It is a software fault in your steering column module (CIM). It causes it to not read the key and that is why it will not start. They usually start after trying a few times. You will need to bring it to an Opel dealer or someone with a tech 2 or mdi computer.

Advertisement