Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a surveyor + what should I be paying?

Options
  • 21-08-2014 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

It's time for me to get a survey done on a house I'm purchasing. Is there a central register of surveyors anywhere that I can use to find a list of surveyors in my area?

Also, what is the average fee for a surveyor? Are fees based on Square Metres or some other metric (house value?).

The house was built in the last 10 years and is a detached timber-frame construction.

As always, any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Try here
    The house was built in the last 10 years and is a detached timber-frame construction.

Depending on who/how it was built, you may also want to consider having an air tightness test done.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,274 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you are getting a mortgage, ask the bank for a list of their approved surveyors.

It should cost a few hundred euros. Explain the main features of the property and anything you want looked at in particular and you should be able to get a quote.Asking a local to do it should keep costs down.

If you have any particular structural concerns, raise them and/or engage a structural engineer. However, the engineer might not be able to comment on some of the other aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Also, what is the average fee for a surveyor? Are fees based on Square Metres or some other metric (house value?).

As always, any advice appreciated.

Hi Mindfulness,
    Glad to hear you got a house!

One thing that may not be popular with forum member but I think is worth a mention - ask the estate agent you are buying from for local recommendations....
    The reason I say that, the surveyor is a professional and you will get a report etc but the agent may know someone with experience of houses in the area. A local surveyor is more like to know of common issues with the area ie flood plains etc.

In our case, our solicitor recommended someone to us and we trusted our solicitor. In our case, the solicitor and the surveyor had direct conversations about a number of points.

Good luck with the purchase!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I got my survey done recently by ESQ Consulting. I wasn't sure what to expect when I sent them an email for a quote as their suggested price points seemed a bit 'budget' but they were amazing. They not only came back to me with the lowest quote for the survey (€380 for 30 year old detached) but their service included numerous checks that were either specifically excluded by or only available for an extra cost from any other surveyor I got a quote from. The guy who did the survey itself was extremely through and did a verbal report with us for well over an hour and went through everything in great detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mindfulness

Thanks for your replies everyone. Interesting reading. The estate agent has given me a number of names so I'll get quotes tomorrow but will also look at some others to see what they all have to say.
    MicktheMan wrote: »
    Try here
    Depending on who/how it was built, you may also want to consider having an air tightness test done.
    You'll have to forgive my ignorance here but why would I need that done? Is this something special for timber-frame constructions? I know it has to do with energy saving but is there a particular reason to get it done on a timber-frame house? Also, how much is it likely to cost?
    Victor wrote: »
    If you are getting a mortgage, ask teh bank for a list of their approved surveyors.
    I know my valuer has to be bank approved but does the surveryor also have to be approved?
    If you have any particular structural concerns, raise them and/or engage a structural engineer. However, the engineer might not be able to comment on some of the other aspects.
    The house is in Tipperary and was built in the last ten years. Should I be worried about Pyrite? Do I need a pyrite test (and how much would that cost)? Is that something a surveryor will look for anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

You'll have to forgive my ignorance here but why would I need that done? Is this something special for timber-frame constructions? I know it has to do with energy saving but is there a particular reason to get it done on a timber-frame house? Also, how much is it likely to cost?

You don't need it done.
    I threw it in as you asked for "any advice appreciated".
    Given the era it was built, it could very well suffer from a lot of draughts which copious amounts of insulation doesn't address. This could leave you cold and with high heating costs. The BER cert on 2nd hand houses does not address this either. Or your house could be fine. You will find out in due course. An air tightness or pressures test / heat loss survey will inform you sooner and make suggestions on what improvements would help and what would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭DontBanMe

iguana wrote: »
    I got my survey done recently by ESQ Consulting. I wasn't sure what to expect when I sent them an email for a quote as their suggested price points seemed a bit 'budget' but they were amazing. They not only came back to me with the lowest quote for the survey (€380 for 30 year old detached) but their service included numerous checks that were either specifically excluded by or only available for an extra cost from any other surveyor I got a quote from. The guy who did the survey itself was extremely through and did a verbal report with us for well over an hour and went through everything in great detail.

Thanks for that, I'll be giving them a shout myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Hi Mindfulness,
    Glad to hear you got a house!
    In our case, our solicitor recommended someone to us and we trusted our solicitor. In our case, the solicitor and the surveyor had direct conversations about a number of points

Just wondering from your posting Little Miss Cutie, are you saying that the solicitor /surveyor link up was a positive or negative experience for you ?
    In a similar position here - our solicitor has recommended an engineer to us for a structural survey - in your view would we be better arranging for the survey independently of the solicitor? Any other views welcome also

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mindfulness

ESQ have come in most expensive for me but their surveyor is at least a member of the society of Chartered Surveyors of Ireland.

The manner of the person on the phone was also most professional by far in that the person I spoke to knew exactly what would be looked at in the survey, the level of detail covered and also stated that they would check the loft, manholes and septic tank where accessible.

Most of the other guys I've spoken to seemed very vague as to what they would be looking at and seemed very cheap, almost too cheap. I'm going to keep looking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,274 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just wondering from your posting Little Miss Cutie, are you saying that the solicitor /surveyor link up was a positive or negative experience for you ?
    In a similar position here - our solicitor has recommended an engineer to us for a structural survey - in your view would we be better arranging for the survey independently of the solicitor? Any other views welcome also
    I don't think there is particular harm with taking a recommendation from you own solicitor, but be careful of taking a recommendation from the vendor's side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement