Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subsistences - do not count in mortgage but do in revenue?

Options
  • 21-08-2014 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hello,
    My mother tried to apply for jobseeker's benefit as she lost her job a while ago, and when the Revenue office was calculating my father's means, they included the subsistence payment, which he gets for staying away from home etc.
    When we were trying to apply for mortgage they didn't count the subsistence towards the income.
    It makes a small difference between getting the benefit or not, and I'd like to ask if that is normal that they counted it?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If your parents are jointly assessed for tax purposes, hen her jsb will be considered taxable income together with other sources of income.

In relation to mortgages, banks can decide for themselves what is or is not income but i would assume that these days they wont count an expense payment as income because it is not available for use in paying the mortgage.

Advertisement