Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Health Insurance Questions

Options
  • 21-08-2014 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Not sure if this is right forum, but I have a question on Ireland healthcare.

As an international student, you are required to obtain a health insurance plan through an Irish supplier. However, I can find little information on laws involving pre-existing conditions or how/if prescription drugs are covered.

I have a medical condition and have been covered by insurance in the U.S. since diagnosis. The past 7 years through my own employer, which also covers a portion of medications.

SO, my question is, how can I came to school in Ireland and still receive medical care if needed for my pre-existing condition and prescription drugs? Is it even possible?

Also, is there a website I can search to find how much my medications may cost me in Ireland without medical insurance?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭SBarrett

Hi

The information you are looking for can be found at citizen information (I'm not allowed post urls as a newbie!)

citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_insurance/private_health_insurance.html

Pre existing conditions will not covered. I don't think prescription drugs are covered under many health insurance schemes either but I can't be sure as there are over 350 different plans. I don't know if there is a website showing the price of medications in Ireland but I know they aren't cheap. Try using google.ie at the end get Irish results to your query.

Steven

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cjh234

SBarrett wrote: »
    Hi

The information you are looking for can be found at citizen information (I'm not allowed post urls as a newbie!)

citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_insurance/private_health_insurance.html

Pre existing conditions will not covered. I don't think prescription drugs are covered under many health insurance schemes either but I can't be sure as there are over 350 different plans. I don't know if there is a website showing the price of medications in Ireland but I know they aren't cheap. Try using google.ie at the end get Irish results to your query.

Steven

Thank you Steven. Very scary to not have health insurance coverage for 5 years with a pre-existing condition. Honestly, I may be ok, but I would need my medications to stay healthy.

I am scared to even come be a student there now. I am going to look for more information about ways to get coverage. Maybe I can buy a plan in USA and use that in Ireland.

Advertisement