Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Period books set in the U.S. with an adolescent as the central character?

Options
  • 21-08-2014 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Am hoping people can help me. Having been reading (and re-reading) some U.S. set books in which adolescents are the main characters and have enjoyed them immensely.

Can people recommend some for me please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

There's this little known book called "The catcher and the rye" which is extremely popular with most forumites;)

Seriously there's literally thousands, are you a serious reader or are you looking for adolescent fiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Roll of Thunder and the Logan series are quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

To Kill A Mockingbird might fit loosely here.

You could check out Willa Cather's "Prairie Trilogy" consisting of O Pioneers!, The Song Of The Lark and My Àntonia. I've only read My Àntonia myself but would recommend it.

Logan's Run might merit a mention?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

It's not necessarily a period book, but Vernon God Little is a great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

The later books in the Little House on the Prairie series- The Long Winter, Little Town on the Prairie, These Happy Golden Years, The First Four Years- are great. Read them all countless times growing up but they're still compelling as an adult. There's a warts and all memoir out soon called Pioneer Girl out that I'm looking forward to reading too.

Out of interest, which books have you read and enjoyed, op?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster (I think!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Huckleberry Finn
    Tom Sawyer

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Advertisement