Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC query and build

Options
  • 20-08-2014 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, figured this would be a great place to come broach the subject, and increase my knowledge.

I'm hoping to come into some cash from some second hand sales of stuff over the coming week, and rather then spend it on rubbish, I thought I might spend it on something proper and high end, to replace a niggling issue in my home.

Through the years I've used a number of different hardware options to basically operate as a media centre. Budget and cost has mostly driven these adoptions of technology, but I've tried them all and nothing has worked smoothly.

An original Xbox modified with XBMC was the inital choice and did well, but size and outdated technology made me move on.
    I adopted an Appletv2, and with XBMC installed it did great. Again though the technology became dated.

I recently( earlier this year) moved to using a Raspberry Pi with Raspbmc. It's been very hit and miss. Somedays its snappy and brilliant, other days riddled with crashes and failing to load movies or other media content.

At present I'm fiddling around with my PS3 trying to get playstation media centre working, and I thought to myself, why don't I get myself a HTPC.

I have two main sort of boxes I want to tick off with this purchase, and hopefully guys here can help.

a) The main purpose of the hardware. I want something to play my content on my TV, seemlessly and hassle free. I have a NAS that stores all my content and want to use a HTPC to play this content, onto the TV.

I see no issues here, and I guess it will be down to hardware recommedation.

b) I would ideally like to have this HTPC manage my downloading. I currently use a laptop that utilises a number of platforms for me to gain my content that saves then to the NAS. I assume HTPC's are powerful enough that they can manage downloads no hassle? Theraspberry pi for example shat the bed when trying to manage my downloads.

I'm decent enough when it comes to normal PC's, but HTPC's are a new venture for me. I'm familiar with years of use for XBMC, so that might be first port of call to have installed on the HTPC itself.

In terms of budget, probably looking at between €300-400 at a push. It's a big outlay for me, but I'd like to buy somthing to solve the problems I'm having with media centres once and for all.

Would appreciate if anyone could share some knowledge in terms of the things I want to achieve, and then maybe some hardware recommendations.

Thanks,
    Doc.

1. What is your budget?
    €300-400

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    HTPC and downloading management

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    No

5. Do you need a monitor?
    No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    No

8. How can you pay?
    Paypal

9. When are you purchasing?
    As soon as money comes in from second hand sales

Comments

Advertisement