Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alaskayoung's study log

Options
  • 20-08-2014 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

So, after an interesting (cries) LC year last year, I've made the tough decision to return to school and give this thing another shot. Holidays finish in less than 2 weeks so I guess it's time to come out of denial and start planning for this next year. I have a lot of things I need to change from last year, a lot of regrets, but what's done is done so onwards and upwards!

Aiming to begin studying medicine this time next year so I need to put in a lot of work over these next 9 months. If there's one thing I can say about going through this whole process these past few weeks is that it's made me realize how much I want it and that if you want something, you have to work to achieve it. Every cloud has a silver lining yanno? :P

After last year, the most important thing I now realize is that it's so important to remain positive. I feel like my lack of belief in myself is primarily to blame for my disappointing results last year. In the final few months I basically gave up. I thought that my goals were so high that I didn't have a hope of attaining them and what the point was in even trying. It turned out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts and now here I am!

Sooo, after a lot of soul-searching, I'm going back to school and ready to put 100% into this next year. If I don't get my number 1 choice at the end of it all, I'll be okay with that. I just need to know that I've given it my all and after that I can deal with whatever the outcome is.

I'm going to try and post here as much as possible over this next year. Really think it'll be helpful with keeping on top of things and setting goals. We shall see though! I'm very much aware of the huge wave of good intentions at the beginning of LC year ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Hard luck on not getting your top choice!

I need to get a lot of points this year too so if you'd like an accountability buddy I'm here to help. We can check in on each other to stay motivated and ensure we're sticking to our study timetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Magnate wrote: »
    Hard luck on not getting your top choice!

I need to get a lot of points this year too so if you'd like an accountability buddy I'm here to help. We can check in on each other to stay motivated and ensure we're sticking to our study timetables.

Thanks and sounds good! I'll take all the motivation I can get :P

What course are you aiming for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Thanks and sounds good! I'll take all the motivation I can get :P

What course are you aiming for?

It's a business course of sorts, I need about 595 points, but if I'm aiming that high I might as well go for full marks.

Had my interview today and enrolled into the new school I'm going to be attending. Felt really good to get out of this limbo stage and to finally be able to start planning properly for the next year. We basically just talked about the subjects I'm going to be taking, changes I have to make from last year and the study schedule. It's going to be a pretty intense year from the sound of things but pretty anxious to get things started at this stage to be honest!

My subjects will be:

French (HL)
    Maths (HL)
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Ag Science
    Applied Maths

I'll be studying English & Irish independently, just enough to pass the OL exam really. So relieved that I have that option as those subjects wasted 2 hours a day at school for me everyday last year. Applied Maths is going to be a new subject for me too so pretty excited about that :P

Over the next few days I'm just going to try and get as organised as possible. A lot of notes and work to sort through from the last 2 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Consonata

Had my interview today and enrolled into the new school I'm going to be attending. Felt really good to get out of this limbo stage and to finally be able to start planning properly for the next year. We basically just talked about the subjects I'm going to be taking, changes I have to make from last year and the study schedule. It's going to be a pretty intense year from the sound of things but pretty anxious to get things started at this stage to be honest!

My subjects will be:

French (HL)
    Maths (HL)
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Ag Science
    Applied Maths

I'll be studying English & Irish independently, just enough to pass the OL exam really. So relieved that I have that option as those subjects wasted 2 hours a day at school for me everyday last year. Applied Maths is going to be a new subject for me too so pretty excited about that :P

Over the next few days I'm just going to try and get as organised as possible. A lot of notes and work to sort through from the last 2 years..

Thats a crazy amount of work you have set up for yourself. Why are you not going for HL English and Irish for the LC and just do grinds to get the grades instead of taking 9 subjects altogether?

• Advertisement

Consonata wrote: »
    Thats a crazy amount of work you have set up for yourself. Why are you not going for HL English and Irish for the LC and just do grinds to get the grades instead of taking 9 subjects altogether?

Just not really interested in them and generally find them more difficult and less reliable than the science/maths type subjects! I won't have to put too much time into them hopefully as I just have to pass the OL exam on the day.

Go back to school on Monday for a few hours, just to discuss rules or whatever and then classes start Tuesday. Getting pretty annoyed as I still haven't gotten my booklist, which makes getting organised pretty difficult...

Haven't done anything really since I started this thing, but sure it's gonna be an intense year. Might as well make the most of the rest of the holidays!

First week done :D Really weird being in a new school but starting to get used to it. I'm going to evening study this year for 3 hours each night which although is pretty tough, I think it'll really help as I have poor discipline :P I'll also be doing 4-5 hours on both Saturday & Sunday with Friday free. Pretty sure this'll suffice for the first few weeks anyway and then after that I can adjust if necessary!

Really making an effort to just constantly learn & revise notes as I go along instead of waiting for tests, exams etc. Especially things like definitions. With my subjects, I have a lot of them to learn word-perfect and as I found out last year, this is not possible the week before the exam. Had my first Applied Maths class on Thursday. Seems like the teacher is going to move at a ferocious pace so I'm going to have to put a lot of work in to keep up. Everyone in the class seems like a mathematical genius and then there's me :P I think I'll like it though. I hope.

Need to start dedicating a few hours every week to HPAT prep again. Not looking forward to that AT ALL but I'm gonna have to suck it up. It has to be done. I really need to improve my score by about 5-10 points to give myself the best chance of getting in which although doesn't sound like much, is going to take a lot of effort to achieve.

This is turning into more of a blog than a study log :P Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

The name wouldn't be any indication to a John Green book would it?...

Seanf999 wrote: »
    The name wouldn't be any indication to a John Green book would it?...

Yessss! My fav book of all time :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

Yessss! My fav book of all time :P

I read it this summer and I'm not someone who tears through books but I honestly read that book in a day.. Couldn't take my eyes off it!

Well this was a fail ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Well this was a fail ;)

Through all that studying you forgot about the study log :D I'm sure you're sticking to the study routine!

Luke92 wrote: »
    Through all that studying you forgot about the study log :D I'm sure you're sticking to the study routine!

Oh yes that's it EXACTLY xD xD

Ah bless my heart. So many good intentions :rolleyes:

Advertisement