Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie question on recurve bows

Options
  • 20-08-2014 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi guys, been to a few shop and have got conflicting info. I'm 5'11 with a arm span of 71" finger tip to finger tip. What size recurve should I go for?
    Also any recommendations in draw weight to start would be a great help, I'm 11 1/2 stone mr average.

If anybody has suggestions re what to buy feel free. Saw samick sage on internet but they aren't in Ireland and I'm wary of buying on internet with seeing it in the flesh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Deadpool

where are you based

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Qumoqq

North cork, mallow.
    Deadpool wrote: »
    where are you based

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Have you done a beginners course?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Qumoqq

greysides wrote: »
    Have you done a beginners course?

Not yet. Only place I saw courses they were all full :(

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Id wait and do a course first. They can tell you what size and draw weight to go for :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Recurve360 wrote: »
    Id wait and do a course first. They can tell you what size and draw weight to go for :)

That's the answer.

You need to learn the steps properly rather than have to relearn them later, which is even harder. There's also a huge safety factor in archery you'll miss without proper instruction. Wait for the beginners course.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Just to add to the advice you have already been given, there is also eye dominance to consider. This is usually the first thing the club coach will check with you on a beginners course. Then towards the end of the course they usually measure your draw length and depending on this will advise on the size of bow required and also the weight to start off with. Also you usually find that members of the club who are advancing and buying new equipment will be selling theirs off, so you may pick up a few bargains.

Advertisement