Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK record costs

Options
  • 20-08-2014 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I am helping my sister in law in the UK to research her family. I see on Ancestry.co.uk that the cost of getting records is around 23 pounds sterling. I only pay 4 Euros here so is there a cheaper way for her to get the records and also for registrations in Stockport Cheshire/Derbyshire where does she apply to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

certs directly from GRO, which cover civil records for England/Wales cost just over £9, all you need are the Index references, e.g. from FreeBMD

see : Certificate Ordering Service

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You need to use the GRO for England and Wales; there are some other county by county resources that *might* be free; but otherwise its the GRO and their horrendous fees. All certs are legally usable copies, unlike here.

HOWEVER - Its not £23, its about £10. £23 is for next day dispatch for emergency passports, etc. Makes it a little less terrifying of a prospect.

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/local_bmd has some county resources.

Scotland and NI have separate systems, ScotlandsPeople and the NI GRO that I'm fairly sure you're already aware of!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

MYOB wrote: »
    HOWEVER - Its not £23, its about £10. £23 is for next day dispatch for emergency passports, etc.

The OP is referring to the UK version of certificates.ie which through Ancestry costs £23.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ponster wrote: »
    The OP is referring to the UK version of certificates.ie which through Ancestry costs £23.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ is what to use instead then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

MYOB wrote: »
    http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ is what to use instead then.

Thanks everyone. We have found the info using your advice & 10 pounds is definitely less of a shock all right! My niece is going to order the records we found on Ancestry. Already the story is looking very unusual and extremely interesting. Much obliged for the pointers.

• Advertisement

Still chasing these records which I ended up ordering myself for my sister in law. Her birth cert has 'U.D.' beside the address where she was born. Anyone know what this means?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Urban District - bit like a registrar's district here

Ah thanks, makes perfect sense.

Advertisement