Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNa then Ms certs, would linux be an option instead of MS?

Options
  • 20-08-2014 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,
    I'm studying towards my CCENT and will be doing the test next month. After reading a lot of posts here it seems that getting a help desk position is really my best bet at getting a foot in the door. Everyone recommends MS certs, however I've been using Linux exclusively for the last couple of years at home and would love to get certified in Linux instead(I'm no expert but have a basic grasp of the command line), maybe Comptia Linux+ or RHEL. Would that be a viable option or is windows a must to get that elusive first job?
    Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There aren't many helpdesk jobs where Linux is relevant in Ireland, it would limit your options somewhat. However, there's such a lack of people even halfway suitable in Dublin at least that its worth looking for roles immediately, regardless of what certification you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jermur11

You mean helpdesk vacancies?
    I've been browsing the jobsites and I've seen plenty but no entry
    level at all

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Job ads in IT are always hopelessly aspirational in what they want

Haha fair enough!,
    well as soon as I finish my CCENT in approx month ill start sending out cvs like mad., and continue on studying for my CCNA R&S. Assuming Linux is not the best bet would MCSA server be a good next option?
    Thanks for you replys.
    By the way im unemployed at the moment so I intend to spend 6- 8 hours a day studying 5 days a week so I should make plenty of progress in my certs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Help desk is the beginning and unlikely you'll have much if any exposure to Linux there. Always study for the job you want, not the job you have... well mostly :)
    MYOB wrote: »

+1000

• Advertisement

So MCSA windows 7 or server 2012 would be the best option for my first job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Help desk will at this point be Windows XP/7/8 so it might be an idea to get the Win 7 exam (70-680) done and see how your interviews go then. If still no luck then go for the 70-685 too and get the MCSA.

Getting on the IT career ladder is the hardest bit. Once you're there, it's really up to you where you go and how hard you work both in employment and at home in your lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

MYOB wrote: »

You mean it might be worth applying for that job that required minimum 5 years experience with Windows 2012?

Hot diggity!

You mean it might be worth applying for that job that required minimum 5 years experience with Windows 2012?

Hot diggity!

I can beat that, mid 2012 I saw a job ad asking for "10+ years iPhone app development"

Although years ago I saw Google looking for someone who spoke fluent Belgian!

Lol!
    Thanks for the advice...I think ill go get that 70-680 exam along with my CCNA and take it from there.
    I'll update this post if/when I have some success in case anyone else is thinking of following the same route
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement