Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for Power Efficient Build

Options
  • 20-08-2014 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hi

I need a new pc running Ubuntu that will collect some data and send it to a server over the web. I have been using a small netbook that does the job fine but would like to do a build and put in in a nicer more rugged housing etc.

It needs to be able to run from a battery, but does not require any display (bar HDMI port for intial configuration). It will just be turned on and left to run for as long as it can. All I need is MOBO, RAM, Harddrive,2 USB ports and WiFi connection. I'll configure it to reduce power consumption as much as possible (hence no display). Had considered RPi etc but it's easier for me to just run off a standard Linux distro and want the additional power (just in case).

1. What is your budget? [€500max, cheaper is better but longer battery life is best]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Data collection in field]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [N/A]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [N/A]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser - Any of the above]

9. When are you purchasing? [In 10 days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Should be ok.]

Cheers
    Tipping

Advertisement