Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Galway Car Service with Message alert re-set?

Options
  • 20-08-2014 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get my car serviced where the mechanic can re-set my 'service due' alert message. Car is 5 years old, I don't want to bring it to the main dealer if I can help it as they are very expensive (they quoted me €200) and as previous years, they will try to convince me that I need to change x, y and z.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Juran wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get my car serviced where the mechanic can re-set my 'service due' alert message. Car is 5 years old, I don't want to bring it to the main dealer if I can help it as they are very expensive (they quoted me €200) and as previous years, they will try to convince me that I need to change x, y and z.
    Google your car make etc. You should be able to find how to do it yourself. Usually it's just a case of holding brake, clutch turn key and reset odometer.
    Or for example..... http://www.passatworld.com/forums/74-volkswagen-passat-b6-discussion/324562-how-reset-service-reminder.html

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Any local indy can service the car. Depending on model they should also be able to reset light.

What brand/model/year?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Yes any competent mechanic will be able to reset the service indicator. There is probably a note in your user manual advising how to do it also, I know it's in mine. What make, model and are you looking for someone in the city or county area?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In my old e36 it was reset using a paperclip on the comms port.
    <3 old cars..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What make and model is it OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Juran

Audi A6, 2009, 2L diesel

Living in Galway city

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That may need to be reset by a garage with VAG-COM software which is the computer diagnostic software used by Volkswagen Audi Group vehicles like your A6.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Audi A6, 2009, 2L diesel

Living in Galway city

Thanks

In my B8 A4 I can reset service & oil change intervals through the MMI screen, not sure if this applies to your car though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Juran

Thanks for all your replies.

I actually re-set it myslef suing the menu program on my dask - it allowed me to do it (found instrucitons on you tube). I'll now get me local mechanic to service my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

200 euro for a main dealer service isn't bad.
    I reckon a indy garage for a proper oil air and fuel filters will cost close to the same anyway.

All them cheap services you see are based on a 1 litre mica r something similar and just a oil change .

• Advertisement
Advertisement