Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaming pc build

Options
  • 20-08-2014 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

hi there. looking at getting a system built and just looking for a bit of advice on if anything here that would be problematic. spec is

CiT Neptune Black Gaming Case
    Corsair VS650 650W
    AMD Athlon II 750K 3.4GHz Quad Core
    Palit Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 Jetstream 4GB GDDR5
    Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB
    2TB SATA3 6Gbs HDD
    Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600MHz

which is looking at about €800. just want to see, would that low a CPU have any impact on the GPU? would that PSU be enough for the GPU? have also debated getting the Nvidia GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 as a cheaper option (€140 less approx), would performance suffer massively? ideally i'd like this to last a good few years. all advice welcome, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Thats well overpriced and imbalanced for the price. Fill up a form and people will be glad to spec a build for you :)

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭amorgan

1. What is your budget? €800
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? no
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? no
    5. Do you need a monitor? no
    6. Do you need any of these peripherals? no
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking? not against the idea
    8. How can you pay? any
    9. When are you purchasing? nowish
    10. If you need help building it, where are you based? south dublin

when you say imbalanced, is it just the gpu that is too much for the rest of it? where am i going wrong? appreciate the assistance. never built one myself, not entirely confident in that side of it but willing to give it a go if it's better/cheaper. the spec above is a customized one from a building website with the gpu added in separately.

The processer would be fairly sub par compared to a self build. Building yourself is reletively simple once you take your time. I built my first PC about 18 moths ago and have built 6 more since then for family and friends. It also makes it easier to upgrade and mantain yourself :)

Ill throw a quick build together. :)

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €832.58 + €11.99 shipping
    Intel Core i5-4690K Box, LGA1150|€201.63
    Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3, Sockel 1150, ATX|€75.43
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9|€63.60
    Palit GeForce GTX 770 JetStream 2GB mit GeForce Experience|€271.62
    Corsair Builder Serie CX600 V3 Non-Modular 80+ Bronze, 600 Watt|€57.90
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€70.75
    Crucial M500 120GB SATA 6GB/s 6,4CM (2,5") 7mm|€57.34
    Cooler Master N300, ATX-Midi-Tower, schwarz, ohne Netzteil|€34.31

Slightly over budget but Processer is much better and it supports overclocking. Pretty sure the h97 boards also support overclocking in future if needs be. Not 100% on this though so somebody else may confirm this for you. But the processor is more than twiuce as fast as the AMD you mentioned and will last for many years and can be overclocked even to speed it up in future :)

that looks pretty solid alright! would there be any other component costs that would be on top of that if i was to build it myself? would it be worth leaving out the SSD (which is only gonna be for OS really) and getting the 4GB GPU? what kind of timeframe would putting it all together be at an estimate? really appreciate the advice, hit a few dead ends in my research!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fozz

I'd personally say the SSD for the OS is better for the overall performance of the PC than more RAM on the GPU.
    Assuming you are using a 1-monitor setup then the extra RAM wont make a huge difference...go with the SSD.

Also, be sure you include whatever fans etc you need for adequate case cooling...wont cost much but just bear in mind.

amorgan wrote: »
    that looks pretty solid alright! would there be any other component costs that would be on top of that if i was to build it myself? would it be worth leaving out the SSD (which is only gonna be for OS really) and getting the 4GB GPU? what kind of timeframe would putting it all together be at an estimate? really appreciate the advice, hit a few dead ends in my research!

Only thing I would suggest you get is an antistatic wristband, only about 3 or 4 euros. I wouldnt bother with 4GB GPU unless you really plan on going the 4k or multi monitor route. It has no benefits really in 1080p. First time if you read everything and are fussy with cable routing it could take 3-4 hours tops. Youll be slow to start but once you get into it youll fly through it. :)

i'll never be using it for multiple monitors and 4k is not something i'm worried about either any time soon! i generally run it through my tv tbh, so 1080p is the peak. had another little dabble on one of the lazy build-it-for-me sites and came to this

Corsair VS650 650W Power Supply
    Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2PV Motherboard
    Intel Core i5 4670 3.4GHz
    Nvidia GTX 770 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
    Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB SATA3 6Gbs
    2TB SATA3 6Gbs
    Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600MHz Memory

which seems to be basically the same spec? the 4670 processor isn't overclockable (unlike the one you listed) but it seems otherwise alike. that is running at €900 delivered with 2 year warranty. i'm so torn! wouldn't building it require finding and buying all the connecting cables and bits and pieces too? kinda weighing up total one off cost VS initial cost + labour hours + things i've forgotten and need to add!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

amorgan wrote: »
    i'll never be using it for multiple monitors and 4k is not something i'm worried about either any time soon! i generally run it through my tv tbh, so 1080p is the peak. had another little dabble on one of the lazy build-it-for-me sites and came to this

Corsair VS650 650W Power Supply
    Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2PV Motherboard
    Intel Core i5 4670 3.4GHz
    Nvidia GTX 770 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
    Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB SATA3 6Gbs
    2TB SATA3 6Gbs
    Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600MHz Memory

which seems to be basically the same spec? the 4670 processor isn't overclockable (unlike the one you listed) but it seems otherwise alike. that is running at €900 delivered with 2 year warranty. i'm so torn! wouldn't building it require finding and buying all the connecting cables and bits and pieces too? kinda weighing up total one off cost VS initial cost + labour hours + things i've forgotten and need to add!

You'll have warranties for each part you buy if doing a self build, so it's not like you're left stranded if something goes wrong.

Go for the overclockable cpu its only a bit extra but you'll get loads more performance out of it when you oc, and even if you don't want to oc now you can do it in a couple of years when you feel the pc has fallen a bit behind new games/whatever.

Don't think about your hours of labour. If you take your time you'll have it completely set up and be installing your games in a single sitting on one evening.

All the cables and adaptors and everything else will come with the components too, you'll just need a philips head screw driver of your own

^^ What he said. Only parts youll need is an antistatic wristband and a phillips screwdriver. If your reusing a DVD drive or need one you will want a sata cable. Most hardware actually comes with a 3 year warranty so you would be gaining a year :) If your stretching to 900 quid you could get these instead of the case and SSD i mentioned:
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/Midi/73549/Zalman+Z11+Plus+Midi+Tower+-+schwarz%2C+ohne+Netzteil.article (or any sub €60 case)
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/Solid-State-Disk/169179/Crucial+MX100+SSD+256GB+%282%2C5%2C+7mm%29.article

and possibly even a gaming headset if you really wanted. Oh and the VS650 only comes with 2 6 pin connectors and by the looks of it the GTX770 needs a 6 and 8 pin connector so doesnt look suitable. Also the CX600 is a step above a VS series. There more efficient

The advantage of overclocking is that in 2-3 years time if you know your pc could perform better you could overclock then and get even faster and save you having to upgrade.
    You could put the PC together in less than 2 hours but the cable management will not be excellent. Generally pre built pcs also have poor cabling.

Totally your decision but just highlighting the advantages of building yourself. And if you ran into bother the guys on here are knowledgeable and quick to reply :)

• Advertisement

Recurve360 wrote: »
    Slightly over budget but Processer is much better and it supports overclocking. Pretty sure the h97 boards also support overclocking in future if needs be. Not 100% on this though so somebody else may confirm this for you. But the processor is more than twiuce as fast as the AMD you mentioned and will last for many years and can be overclocked even to speed it up in future :)

i think you've sold me on the self-build! been looking at that site and getting it together. it seems to come up about €40/€50 more now though, do the prices fluctuate that much?

it's also saying the GPU is out of stock. i've found this

PNY VCGGTX7702XPB G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support Video Card

on newegg.com which looks fairly similar? these are the little details i've no idea about. most things on it look the same, but it's €30 cheaper (and a free new borderlands is always welcome!) would there be any real difference?

also, would the single fan that's in the case be enough, or would i probably be better with more? thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Don't buy from Newegg. Where are you buying from? Hardwareversand.de is the best place really.

Something like this is fine, there are loads of 770 variants to choose from though.

Personally I'd go for something like this which is a lot cheaper and just as fast, excellent value for money.

I don't really see the value in Nvidia this gen really apart from the lower end of the market which they have a good foot in.

Don't buy from Newegg. Where are you buying from? Hardwareversand.de is the best place really.

Something like this is fine, there are loads of 770 variants to choose from though.

Personally I'd go for something like this which is a lot cheaper and just as fast, excellent value for money.

I don't really see the value in Nvidia this gen really apart from the lower end of the market which they have a good foot in.

i've been looking at harwareversand, only looked at newegg for that gpu to be honest cos it was out of stock. would there be much difference in the performance of those two cards? fifty quid cheaper is appealing definitely if there wouldn't be any real bonuses. also, will that (and the rest of the build!) all be compatible?

just been looking at bit further into this on another forum and gotten some advice, was hoping i could get a second opinion!

i've been told to avoid the corsair CX series and get the EVGA 600B instead. they're similar price, would there be any difference or has anyone advice?

how does the H97 stack up against the Z97 motherboard? worth the extra money?

they've also recommended getting the Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler as the intel stock one's crap. is this necessary or just an extra thing i should look at later? no intention of overclocking soon!

lastly, i'd really appreciate your thoughts on the two GPU that terrorfirmer mentioned earlier. it's the MSI N770 and the R9 280X. the R9 is €50 cheaper with 3GB RAM (vs 2GB) but i assume that means that all the features on the MSI board are much better? any advice welcome!

thanks again!

edit - there's a Z97 board on HWVS for the same price as the H97, it's the Z97P-D3, would that support overclocking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The stock cooler is fine if you're not overclocking - the intel stock cooler is far from crap.

The R9 280X is AMD's equivalent to the GTX770, and they're more or less the same performance wise, but the R9 280x is much cheaper. It's the same in the higher end, the R9 290 is as fast as the GTX780 but it's much cheaper also. In terms of raw gaming performance, the 280X offers better value for money. The 280X is faster in some games, the GTX770 in others, but on the whole...

Up to yourself over the 600B and the Corsair CX, but I wouldn't really think it a superior PSU, they're both good - not sure why anyone would say to avoid them, they're very popular.

One good thing about the boards B&U forum is that they're not 'enthusiast' forums. When I'm helping people, I and most of the other guys, take a very common sense approach. Sometimes, on other forums that solely exist for tech hardware, people lose sight a bit of that and recommend everything based on what works for an enthusiast as opposed to the person that's looking for help.

that's just the vibe i got from them to be honest, it was a very technical forum where basically anything suggested was looked down upon and a more expensive one recommended! just now to get the final few decisions and tweaks, getting excited now!

what do you think about the Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3, Sockel 1150, ATX vs the H97 board originally mentioned? from what i've read, H97 doesn't allow base overclocking. it's nothing immediately important to me, but if i'm paying for the 4690K to allow o/c, then i should check the motherboard supports it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Do a list of your current parts selection.

Do a list of your current parts selection.

currently happy enough with these choices -

Intel Core i5 4690K
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9
    Crucial M500 120GB SATA 6GB/s 6,4CM (2,5") 7mm
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s
    XFX PRO650W Core Edition Full Wired Power Supply
    Cooler Master N300, ATX-Midi-Tower

and currently looking at -

MSI N770 TF 2GD5/OC Twin Frozr Gaming, GeForce GTX 770, 2GB GDDR5
    Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3, Sockel 1150, ATX

i've no preference on motherboard, just want to be sure it's compatible and can be used for overclocking in the future. the other graphics cards i'm looking at are

Club 3D Radeon R9 280X royalQueen OR
    ASUS R9280X-DC2T-3GD5 mit MANTLE und Gaming Evolved Client, 3GB DDR5

just not sure which would be the better. help!

i think i've finally settled on a build spec, can you guys please throw an eye over it and let me know if i'm good to go with all this?

Intel Core i5 4690K €212
    8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 €67
    Crucial M500 120GB SSD - €60
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB SATA €50
    Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 Socket 1150 ATX €78
    XFX PRO650W Core Edition PSU €72
    ASUS R9 280X DC2T 3GB DDR5 €270
    Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 €52

Total €869 inc delivery (hardwareversand.de)

how does all that look? thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Heard the Asus 280x is a bad buy. A lot of problems with artifacts. Seen on newegg a lot of returns.

Personally I'd get the gtx 770 considering they are practically same price.

Looks like you didn't use the discount site Geizhals. Maybe I could be wrong.

That xfx is expensive. You will get a be quiet 600 w for 60 euro. Hell the be quiet 700 w silver rating is only 3 euro more expensive than the xfx..

• Advertisement

Heard the Asus 280x is a bad buy. A lot of problems with artifacts. Seen on newegg a lot of returns.

Personally I'd get the gtx 770 considering they are practically same price.

Looks like you didn't use the discount site Geizhals. Maybe I could be wrong.

That xfx is expensive. You will get a be quiet 600 w for 60 euro. Hell the be quiet 700 w silver rating is only 3 euro more expensive than the xfx..

is that just the asus one or all of the 280x? i've read about a few places and most say that the 280x vs 770 are basically the same except the 280x is cheaper.

is geizhals the same deal with it all shipping together?

edit - just found that
    EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Superclocked EVGA Cooler, 2GB GDDR5

is on sale now at about the same price, any better?

Advertisement