Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Halloween small low fog/steam/smoke generator

Options
  • 20-08-2014 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Need some DIY advice on how to create a dry ice type effect and want to get started on it well in advance.

I just bought an old cast iron pot (about 15" diameter and 10" deep) that I want to clean up & paint black to look likea witch's cauldron. I then want to have something inside it that generates smoke/steam that "spills" out of the pot (i..e. is heavier than air).

We actually have a shallow glass bowl with an electric element and a sort of a glass umbrella that sits over the element. When this is filled with water & switched on it generates exactly the effect I am looking for - but my wife wont let me canibalise it, so I am looking for where I can purchase something similar or other ideas for creating this effect.

Any advice is warmly welcomed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Fill it with soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Get the element from an old kettle and rig it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Maplin have a fogger/mist generator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

Maybe you should try the Vaping sub forum. They know all there is know about steam and how to produce huge clouds of the stuff.
    Just don't mention smoke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Maybe you should try the Vaping sub forum. They know all there is know about steam and how to produce huge clouds of the stuff.
    Just don't mention smoke!

This isn't a joke BTW. Propylene Glycol is whats used in smoke/fog machines and is also the main constituent of e-cig juice.

Cut a kettle in half and leave it to boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

kneemos wrote: »
    Cut a kettle in half and leave it to boil.
    But steam from a kettle will rise out of the cauldron & not spill over the sides, right?

Will follow up on the mini fogger idea & vaping subforum - thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

Car mechanics would often have steam for certain jobs, you could ask your local garage to sell you a bucket of steam.

Thanks; maybe I can try them for a left handed screwdriver or a long weight at the same time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Yeah a fog machine is the way to go, basically a low heating element and a feed of PG VG mix propelled by a small fan. It's heavier than air and will drop/stay low to the ground.
    Video here showing how the thing works.
    http://lifehacker.com/5854472/make-a-fog-machine-for-your-party-for-5

I ended up buying a few low cost foggers off ebay (one plain one, two with coloured LEDs) and placed them on a platform in the cauldron - great effect indoors, lettle patrchy outside as any breeze woudl take the smoke away

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Thanks for keeping us updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Thanks for nothin' to be brutally honest. The OP was August. Halloween was 3 months ago and he's left us bloody hanging till January of the next calendar year. No consideration from the OP whatsoever IMHO.

;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

tombrown wrote: »
    I ended up buying a few low cost foggers off ebay (one plain one, two with coloured LEDs) and placed them on a platform in the cauldron - great effect indoors, lettle patrchy outside as any breeze woudl take the smoke away

Better late then never. I was only saying to my mates earlier that I hope that bloke got those things. They'll be delighted to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm liking the recent threads with conclusions (better late than never!).

Earphones thread next please!

*fingerscrossed*

TBH I posted that mainly as I need to get my count up to 50 so I could post a picture in the antiques forum.

But now I know how much closure is valued I will do my best to follow up n the future :)

tombrown wrote: »
    TBH I posted that mainly as I need to get my count up to 50 so I could post a picture in the antiques forum.

But now I know how much closure is valued I will do my best to follow up n the future :)

I don't know what's real anymore.
    Is the sun still in the sky?
    Are we all mere puppets on a string?

Advertisement