Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank high level alarm - Where to buy?

Options
  • 20-08-2014 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭

I have no alarm for my septic tank. There are two sections to the tank and the pump is in the second section, which is just liquid. It is more of a holding tank as it pumps the liquid to a group septic tank. However this group septic tank is at a slightly higher level which makes pump failure all the more important to be known as soon as it inevitably happens.

I have looked online and am not having much look finding a standalone device (preferably a float design one) that can plug into the existing 220 volt mains supply. No problems finding US specced 110 volt units for very affordable prices but the 220 volt types seem to be difficult to find.

Can anyone help/advise me where I can get one that won't cost an arm and a leg and that be easily added to the existing set-up?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

The Makers of the Tank should be able to offer you one. But if not I'm sure a switch could be used to provide an alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

sky6 wrote: »
    The Makers of the Tank should be able to offer you one. But if not I'm sure a switch could be used to provide an alarm.

The tank is a bespoke custom built tank so not associated with any particular maker.

I'm looking for something like one of the following items in the URL. They are for the US market though and are 110 volt so no good for me:

http://www.septicsolutions.net/store/alarms_floats.htm

It looks the business. Can you not put a small transformer to take the power down to 110 before the switch.

I suppose I could but this would put the cost up and also the transformer would not be ok for outdoors. Have looked further and found one that may do the job, is available in 220v and is not too expensive, relatively - http://sumpalarm.com/shop/article_12/Sump-Alarm-Outdoor-Pilot-Light-and-Monitor-(110V_220V).html?shop_param=cid%3D1%26aid%3D12%26

That looks like it will sort all your problems andd what looks like a decent price. Don't forget customs will put their import tax on top.

• Advertisement

sky6 wrote: »
    That looks like it will sort all your problems andd what looks like a decent price. Don't forget customs will put their import tax on top.

Good point, never thought of that although it shouldn't be too expensive as the item is not too expensive to start with. Good heads up though! Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If price is a big issue, you can buy a float switch less expensively than this, if you want to rig it up yourself. There is really not much to this. It's just a switch and some sort of light or bell attached to it.

This kind of thing - http://www.dx.com/p/float-level-switch-for-water-tank-tower-pond-yellow-blue-5m-199999#.U_sA0ku9QWI - though an electrician should be able source something similar locally.

Whichever option you go with, it is worth going to some trouble with the installation of this to make sure the whole thing is installed well, and if you are not familiar with electrical works, you should consider getting the advice of an electrician.

Advertisement