Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive other vehicle's?

Options
  • 20-08-2014 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi

I was reading your website and I read that I can drive other cars under 2.0 liter is that true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Liberty Insurance: Cathy

Hi Seantobin43,

You should check your certificate of insurance to make sure you are entitled to drive other cars. If you have this extension;
    This would allow you to drive any other private car which you do not own or have not hired or leased. The vehicle cannot be owned by your employer or hired to them under a hire-purchase or lease agreement. This only covers private passenger vehicles and does not include vans, car-vans, jeep-type vehicles with no seats in the back or vans adapted to carry passengers.
    There are other conditions to be met to qualify for a third party extension, see your policy booklet for further details.

Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

Does the other car I can drive have to have insurance on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Liberty Insurance: Cathy

Hi Seantobin43,

We will cover your liabilities towards other road users providing you meet all the terms and conditions of the third party extension. There is no requirement for the other vehicle to be insured, however, motor vehicles in use on a public road must be taxed and have a valid NCT under the law, so driving without tax or NCT could result in a motoring conviction.

Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

Hi Seantobin43,

We will cover your liabilities towards other road users providing you meet all the terms and conditions of the third party extension. There is no requirement for the other vehicle to be insured, however, motor vehicles in use on a public road must be taxed and have a valid NCT under the law, so driving without tax or NCT could result in a motoring conviction.

Cathy
    To clear up that statement its only nct that can affect your insurance as tax as nothing to do with your car only a source of revenue for the government . So if you buy a car with no NCT & drive it home get involved in a accident your insurance company has a escape clause to not pay up even though the car might be perfect.So Cathy should have made this clear to you dont chance it.

motoring conviction only means a guard will do you for driving with a clear screen she did not say it was safe to drive it home meaning you will be covered. should anything happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

homingbird wrote: »
    Hi Seantobin43,

Cathy
    To clear up that statement  its only nct that can affect your insurance as tax as nothing to do with your car only a source of revenue for the government . So if you buy a car with no NCT & drive it home get involved in a accident your insurance company has a escape clause to not pay up even though the car might be perfect.So Cathy should have made this clear to you dont chance it.

motoring conviction only means a guard will do you for driving with a clear screen she did not say it was safe to drive it home meaning you will be covered. should anything happen.
    My certificate say it must be in a roadworthy condition.

That is not NCT. So my reading is and joining on her official comment, NCT is not compulsory for Liberty at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Avien

Hi Seantobin43,

Cathy
    To clear up that statement  its only nct that can affect your insurance as tax as nothing to do with your car only a source of revenue for the government . So if you buy a car with no NCT & drive it home get involved in a accident your insurance company has a escape clause to not pay up even though the car might be perfect.So Cathy should have made this clear to you dont chance it.

To be fair I don't think Cathy misled him at all. Tax and NCT are both required to drive any vehicle on the road in Ireland and that is all she said. 

As for the NCT "escape clause", this depends on the insurer. The company I work for will simply reduce the pre-accident value in the case of a write off by a set % for no NCT, but there's no impact if the vehicle is repairable. But for third party extension claims where you aren't entitled to claim for the vehicle you are driving anyway, we simply check that the vehicle is roadworthy by inspecting it and if it's roadworthy we would grant the indemnity irrespective of the NCT being present. 

Now whether Liberty does or does not do this it should be set out in their policy document under the terms of the driving other cars section. NCT cert doesn't prove a vehicle is roadworthy, it simply proves it was roadworthy at the time the NCT was completed. If it says that the vehicle must be roadworthy an NCT cert being present doesn't remove your responsibility to ensure the vehicle is safe to be on the road in the first place.

flexcon wrote: »
    Hi Seantobin43,

Cathy

My certificate say it must be in a roadworthy condition.

That is not NCT. So my reading is and joining on her official comment, NCT is not compulsory for Liberty at this time.

Advertisement