Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What college courses NEED physics?

Options
  • 19-08-2014 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I'm going into 6th year. I did physics for 5th year and turned out to be awful at it so I'm deciding whether or not to change from physics to woodwork. I'm planning on doing a computer related college course but i'm not sure exactly what i'm looking for. Do many courses require physics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭GillespieRoad

You can check here on Qualifax. They have the subject requirements for every course that you can filter to suit, very usefull tool http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=26

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

A computer course won't need Physics. Many courses however require two sciences (many more only one), so dropping physics will cost you.

Frankly, if you can't hack LC Physics, don't touch a course involving Physics with a barge pole - just as someone doing OL Maths shouldn't be doing Maths Science.

On that note, if you are doing OL Maths, Computer Science mightn't be the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭liamorocks

A computer course won't need Physics. Many courses however require two sciences (many more only one), so dropping physics will cost you.

Frankly, if you can't hack LC Physics, don't touch a course involving Physics with a barge pole - just as someone doing OL Maths shouldn't be doing Maths Science.

On that note, if you are doing OL Maths, Computer Science mightn't be the best idea.

I'm doing higher level maths. I've had a look and very few courses that interest me require physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

liamorocks wrote: »
    I'm doing higher level maths. I've had a look and very few courses that interest me require physics.

According to the Qualifax link, only Theoretical Physics in TCD requires Physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Few require physics but many require a science.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If you drop Physics, how many science subjects are you left with?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭liamorocks

Nimr wrote: »
    If you drop Physics, how many science subjects are you left with?

I'm doing Geography so afaik that's considered a science subject

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

liamorocks wrote: »
    I'm doing Geography so afaik that's considered a science subject

Only in Trinity, afaik.

That's what I noticed anyway. I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Nimr wrote: »
    Only in Trinity, afaik.

That's what I noticed anyway. I could be wrong.

Geo counts for general science in UCD too, as does applied maths :p

Advertisement