Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Turning left or right / stopping signal

Options
  • 19-08-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭

Failed my test today :( have not received the detailed report yet but on the feedback he was saying I didn't check my blind spots turning left and right

Is that not dangerous taking my eyes off the road to turn my head while making a turn while the car is in motion? I was told by the instructor middle mirror left or right mirror signal then turn all in good time

Also I was marked down for signalling when stopping, what could that possibly be would anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Quick exaggerated glance to the left at the pillar over the passengers shoulder just before turning left. And over the your right shoulder as you start turning right. Is it always necessary or done by most drivers in all the time every day driving is another question which the answer is no. You must do it for during the test though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

HurtLocker wrote: »
    Quick exaggerated glance to the left at the pillar over the passengers shoulder just before turning left. And over the your right shoulder as you start turning right. Is it always necessary or done by most drivers in all the time every day driving is another question which the answer is no. You must do it for during the test though.

I'll remember that for next time cheers
    Any idea what he meant by signals when stopping it has me lost here
    It's headed signals on the feedback form then under it signals is circled in pen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

spider_pig wrote: »
    I'll remember that for next time cheers
    Any idea what he meant by signals when stopping it has me lost here
    It's headed signals on the feedback form then under it signals is circled in pen

Did you indicate that you were pulling in?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Craftylee

Yeah it's due to the chance of any cyclists etc being in your blind spot (e.g. in a bus / cycle lane). So if you check mirrors and turn they could be alongside you and bash. It should be a quick glance to your shoulder - no need to glance right round as that would be dangerous as your eyes are off the road for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Also signalling after you stop dosent warn the people around you in time for them to react.

ie you stop in the left lane where there is a filter light for left that turns on 30 seconds after the straight ahead light turns on, but you only signal after you stopped and then the drivers behind you that want to go straight on then try to get around you in traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭SimonClarke

spider_pig wrote: »
    I was told by the instructor middle mirror left or right mirror signal then turn all in good time

Surely if you need to turn your head to check blind spots for the test, your instructor should have advised you about this no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

Surely if you need to turn your head to check blind spots for the test, your instructor should have advised you about this no?

Never got advised at all, I passed today in finglas only checking when pulling out from the curb and changing lanes, I had asked an instructor in the parking lot to be 100% sure and he said the same as my instructor
    But the tester in dundalk said to me about not checking them while turning which I got faults on

Advertisement