Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to study a subject in 1 year and get an A? [ECONOMICS]

Options
  • 19-08-2014 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

I'm heading into 6th year this year and i am seriously considering doing Economics because so far i'm doing all high level:
    Maths, Irish, English, French, Geography, Biology, Business.

A few questions for those who do study Economics in school:

Is it similar to business? How so,?
    Is it mainly theory and taking notes like business?
    Is there any problem solving like accounting in it?
    Is the course very in depth and has a lot of theory like business?
    If you were facing in a situation like me and were to decide to study Economics in one year would you or wouldn't you?

I believe with great motivation and focus i can do it. Please feel free to share your opinions about this thank you! I will be studying at home outside school.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ayononosts

I'm heading into 6th year this year and i am seriously considering doing Economics because so far i'm doing all high level:
    Maths, Irish, English, French, Geography, Biology, Business.

A few questions for those who do study Economics in school:

Is it similar to business? How so,?
    Is it mainly theory and taking notes like business?
    Is there any problem solving like accounting in it?
    Is the course very in depth and has a lot of theory like business?
    If you were facing in a situation like me and were to decide to study Economics in one year would you or wouldn't you?

I believe with great motivation and focus i can do it. Please feel free to share your opinions about this thank you! I will be studying at home outside school.

I did the entire biology course in two weeks and got an a, if that says anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

I took it up in December of 6th year and got a B2. Very very few get A's, its a bit of a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

It's hard enough subject to get the A1 one unless you're really good because the marking scheme can be a bit finicky but I would recommend it as a subject, was definitely one of my favourites. I took it up after christmas in 5th year, with one class a week. I taught myself most of the micro because I had missed it, and tbh I missed most of the classes in sixth year :pac: still got a b1 though, it's just pure learning, I really recommend positive economics as a textbook if you do take it up.

I didn't do business but I don't think it's as in depth. Maybe look at past exam papers, or if you get a chance flick through a text book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

ayononosts wrote: »
    I did the entire biology course in two weeks and got an a, if that says anything.
    Thats an unbelievable achievement!
    Did you predict what questions were going to come up or something?
    Spill the beans please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gotseven

can anyone recommend an economics book?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Is it similar to business? How so,? It's only similar in that both involve learning large amounts of theory. There is very little cross-over.
    Is it mainly theory and taking notes like business? Yes but some questions can require a bit of thinking and some questions require your own opinion.
    Is there any problem solving like accounting in it? Very little. Only basic calculations.
    Is the course very in depth and has a lot of theory like business? Lots of theory- yes. Indepth-no.
    If you were facing in a situation like me and were to decide to study Economics in one year would you or wouldn't you? I was in your situation but took up business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pourquoi

Economics, if you're interested in it, is doable in a year. However, it does have a low A1 rate (2.1% at Higher Level, 2013; stats are available from the State Examinations Commission website.)

I loved economics. It explains the functioning of the market system, motivation of consumers to buy things, etc. It has little to do with the practicality of running a business day to day. There's a lot of rote learning, and I would recommend that you use the marking schemes as your main source of notes. My teacher used them almost exclusively. It's a subject that relies heavily on keywords for earning marks--you can talk around a point, but it you don't use the particular word/phrase that's given in the marking scheme, you won't get the marks, particularly in the short questions.

You don't need to waffle much (not that there's much room for that anyway, given the strictness of the marking scheme). We were always told to use bullet points and numbered lists (like the marking schemes).

One slight difference with economics compared to some other subjects is that it can draw on current affairs. E.g. the year of the bank bailout, I think there was a question on how can the government fund national debt. It's not that you need an in in depth knowledge of the Irish economy, but a scan of the pages of the Times can prove beneficial. :)

It's also a reasonably predictable paper. :)

Advertisement