Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin - where to live?

Options
  • 19-08-2014 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi,

I just got my offer letter from IT company in east point business park . I will be moving with my wife to Dublin in another 1 to 2 months.
    Can you please suggest some safe and nice areas in dublin considering that I will not be taking car so will be relying on public transport. I am planning to take annual pass for DART and Dublin Bus.
    Also let me know what kind of things I can expect in apartment. For example, washing machine , furniture etc etc .

Also let me know approximate rent for a decent 1 bed room or spacious studio apartment.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I recommend staying Northside, maybe Drumcondra/Glasnevin. A one bed apartment will be in the 1000/1100 range at least. The apartment should have washing machine, possibly dryer, dishwasher and general furniture of chairs, table, bed etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

East Point Business Park is not too far walking from Connolly train station, which would be a major hub for intercity/commuter/DART trains, so you have a big option of areas.

For example
    Balbriggan to Connolly is 45 mins
    Kilcock to Connolly is also 45 mins
    Greystones to Connolly is 55mins

I'm not saying you should live in any of these areas but it's just to give you an idea of routes (Balbriggan line for example would go through Skerries, Rush & Lusk, and Donabate) you could look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭newincity

Thanks for replying.
    I read somewhere that north dublin is less safe as compared to south dublin. I don't know myself but you can help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

newincity wrote: »
    Thanks for replying.
    I read somewhere that north dublin is less safe as compared to south dublin. I don't know myself but you can help me.

I work in Eastpoint and also live on the northside.
    There are less desirable areas in all parts of Dublin not just the northside.

Drumcondra/ Glasnevin are not that accessible from the business park unless you happy for a 20min plus walk each way. I would recommend either walking distance from here or else on the dart line.

Feel free to PM me if you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Whats your budget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭uli84

where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

my budget is around 1000 euros

I belong to India and currently working in Bangalore.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

http://www.daft.ie/

Daft is one of the main rental listing websites in Ireland so you'll be able to have a look on that to see what's suitable for your budget.

Unfortunately 1000 a month will be in and around the entry point to the market for half decent places.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭airbus125

Have a look at swords its one of the biggest towns in Ireland and it is very safe. There is a bus company called the Swords Express which will bring you to a place called the o2. There is a free shuttle bus from there to the East Point Business park which is free and runs every 15-20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

What's your budget, what size of a place do you want and if your wife isn't going to be working, what sort of area does she want to be in? (City centre/suburb, rural?)

What sort of commute can you take? Would you be prepared to cycle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There's a shuttle bus from Clontarf Road train station every 10 minutes which opens up loads of possibilities along the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) or Northern Suburban lines - the green and blue lines on the map below. It's also not too far a walk depending on where in East Point your offices are. Bear in mind that at rush hour the road access is pretty clogged up with traffic and the Clontarf Road shuttle is the shortest distance.

dublinarea_large.jpg

Timetables and more: http://www.irishrail.ie/timetables/timetable-pdfs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Based on your budget - definitely hit the north Dublin coast near the train line.

East Point is on the Northside but (as already pointed out) difficult to get to via bus system.
    Anything else will probably outside your accommodation budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

With your budget, you will probably be better off looking at places like, Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush, Lusk, Donabate

Thanks all for reply.

--> my wife will not be working mostly .. only preference will be it should be safe place in case she has to live alone
    --> I was thinking of looking for a place near DART line so that we can take a train to work or reach city centre . Can you suggest such place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Have a look at Portmarnock. You might get a nice one-bed near the train station for a just a little bit more than 1000.

Very safe and quiet, and only about half an hour into the city centre by train.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Thanks all for reply.

--> my wife will not be working mostly .. only preference will be it should be safe place in case she has to live alone
    --> I was thinking of looking for a place near DART line so that we can take a train to work or reach city centre . Can you suggest such place ?

How much of a commute would you be prepared to put up with? Most of dublin is very safe during the daytime, and even the bad areas are fine at night so long as youre careful ie not so drunk youre falling into bins. Dublin is pretty crazy rental wise at the moment, and the dart line especially so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

OP you might find something in the D7/8 areas. D7/8 within a short distance of the River Liffey is safe (I've lived here for almost ten years) and an easy cycle to East Point.

Viking Harbour/The Maltings/Smithfield would be the main complexes along with another one I forget the name of near the Museum LUAS stop. 1 Beds should be available for about €1000 without parking.

I am able to see in daft.ie that for around 1200 Euros I am getting 2 Bed apartment in some places near DART lines (like 1 km from Dart)
    Is that a reasonable amount ?
    Also I am planning to take annual pass for Dublin Bus and DART.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I am able to see in daft.ie that for around 1200 Euros I am getting 2 Bed apartment in some places near DART lines (like 1 km from Dart)

Maybe a bit too reasonable - where are you seeing those?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

These are right beside the Dart station:

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/millbank-the-links-portmarnock-dublin/1475682/

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/station-road-portmarnock-dublin/1475429/

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/caddell-the-links-station-road-portmarnock-dublin/1473232/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

1000 euro is not alot of money but you could move to East Wall,, it it's actually a nice community, you are walking distance to supermarkets and work in East Point.. so you don't need to be near the DART or Bus,, I would recommend either getting somewhere near East Point.

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/merchants-road-east-wall-dublin/1475596/#

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/island-key-one-bedroom-east-wall-dublin/1455795/

Advertisement