Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast-ish labour

Options
  • 19-08-2014 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I am 32 weeks pregnant with my second child. Labour with my first was quick enough. I had a couple of hours of contractions before arriving at the hospital at 8am and he was born at 11.45. That was a nice manageable timeframe but the journey to the hospital was horrible, contractions were close together and I was picturing myself giving birth at the side of the road if we got stuck in traffic :) I'm worried about how much faster the next one could be and also the fact that maybe I wouldn't have time for an epidural next time. Any advice from people with similar experience would be great. Also what if I went into labour at home alone with my toddler - really need to plan for that

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

1st I would arrange to have someone on stand by for the toddler .
    3 of my labours from 1st pain to baby were less then an hour with official labour of the last one 2 minutes .
    As soon as I even suspect labour I wake himself up , ring on call babysitter and go , though last time my mother stayed as we didn't know how long I would have !
    I have never had an epidural and in a quick delivery there is no time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I would say have several back-up babysitters ready - and back-ups for the back-ups - for every possible scenario! And warn them that, when the time comes, they could potentially end up with the kid for a day or two (most likely your second labour will be even faster, but it's not guaranteed, and there could be complications ... last thing you want while in labour is to have you/your OH on the phone trying to chop and change babysitters!) Have a big overnight bag packed for the toddler with everything they might possibly need. And ensure that all of your potential babysitters and back-up babysitters have each others phone numbers, just in case. Also - on a practical note - do you need to think about a car seat? If he ends up moving between minders while you're in labour, does it fit their cars and do they know how to fit it? Also I'd advise having a rough schedule/notes written out, so that you're not trying to explain it all in a rush mid-labour!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Great tips, thanks a million. I need to start making a few lists!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Also might not go quicker my 1st labour and delivery was almost 12hrs my 2nd was 30hrs so could go the other way too

Have plenty people on stand by to come at the drop of k hat and tell them it could be 3am too x keep one or two towels in the car too for waters etc ;-) best of luck x

Yeah, fingers crossed it won't be that fast but i just want to be prepared in case it is.
    Also, i had a 3rd degree tear the last time and I guess it was partly because things progressed pretty quickly. I really hope that doesn't happen again. It healed fine and I recovered quickly but i had to go to theatre after the birth to have it repaired and i just wasn't prepared for that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You could discuss being induced maybe? That way the labour would start in the hospital, no rushing about?

I know a woman with fast labour who did that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

pwurple wrote: »
    You could discuss being induced maybe? That way the labour would start in the hospital, no rushing about?

I know a woman with fast labour who did that.

Problem with that is chances are much increased of needing a C Section - not ideal recovering from that with two small kids.

Also if she got such a bad tear from the first fast labour, I'd hate to think of what would happen in an even faster labour. *ouch*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I wouldn't really recommend inductions unless medically necessary. A 4 hour labour isn't that quick (well its definitely not slow either). As you say it's a nice timeframe and a good but quicker than most first labours. My first was 4 hours and my second was 1 hour. I think a lot will depend on how far or how close you live to your hospital.

I'm about 45 mins from the hospital in ok traffic so far enough i guess. Lets just hope my labour is longer than an hour :)

Hmmm ok well that is a bit of a distance tbh if your first was less than 4 hours... I was only 5 min from hospital so wasn't a
    Major issue for me. As soon as you get the first twinge id be jumping in the car. Doesn't matter if ur in labour or not... Better safe and all that. Good luck and congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I'm about 45 mins from the hospital in ok traffic so far enough i guess. Lets just hope my labour is longer than an hour :)

I am a similar distance , go once you feel contractions . I was terrified my last 2 would be born in the car .

Yeah, I'll be in that car as soon as I feel a twinge!
    The last time i had a shower and some weetabix before I left but i think I'll just hit the road this time :)

Problem with that is chances are much increased of needing a C Section - not ideal recovering from that with two small kids.

Also if she got such a bad tear from the first fast labour, I'd hate to think of what would happen in an even faster labour. *ouch*

Depends on the method on induction, gel is slower than the drip etc. it may not suit at all depending on circumstances, but as I said, I know people who did go that way, under advice from medical team.

That induction c-section link was debunked... No increased risk, especially if she has already given birth. It actually reduces c-section risk, by 12%. Link with study on that here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/276039.php

pwurple wrote: »
    Depends on the method on induction, gel is slower than the drip etc. it may not suit at all depending on circumstances, but as I said, I know people who did go that way, under advice from medical team.

That induction c-section link was debunked... No increased risk, especially if she has already given birth. It actually reduces c-section risk, by 12%. Link with study on that here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/276039.php

Hmmm, I'd be sceptical about that research. Would love to read the full study and also would wonder what sample of women the RCT was drawn from. 157 women is not a big sample for a RCT. It also says that using oxytocin for induction did not correspond with the reduced rate of c-sec of 12%... Think that was down to the prostaglandin gel. So I spose it would depend on the methods used. Looks like a really interesting study... But I think they would really need to draw a bigger sample to make a valid conclusion and therefore make it generalisable.

Did I read it wrong?, It was a meta-study, combining the results of other papers. It was RCT 157 (n= 31085). What does the n figure mean there? I thought it was 157 trials, with a total of 31085 inductions.

Sorry pwurple, you are totally correct! I must've been scrolling a bit fast and missed the paragraph where it said it was metaanalysis!

I took it to mean it was an RTC where n would equal 157 (which I was also wondering how on earth would they get ethical approval). But yes your right total participants are in the thousands and they have analysed 157 studies.

Id love to read the study. And see are there any confounding factors mentioned or what the validity and reliability of the studies used are because that can be a major factor in the results of a meta analysis aswell.

It doesn't show a reduced rate of section for oxytocin tho. And id also wonder if most participants in the studies analysed where primiparas or multi paras.

Yes, it's an intersting one alright, turns the old perception on its head. I can't find it anywhere free, all behind paywalls.

You're right about first babies etc, i'd say that does make a difference.

From my own experience with induction on second baby, I much preferred being in thtere already to the drive to the hospital in labour. And from the experience one of my friends had, where her first baby was a very fast labour, she found the inductions for her subsequent 4 babies to be fast, but less stressful, because the midwives were right there already.

Advertisement