Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Offer and Negotiating

Options
  • 19-08-2014 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently considering a job offer for a senior Java position.

The package contains healthcare, pension contributions and gym membership. The base salary seems pretty competitive too I think.

However... I know of one or two friends in Devlopment that said they have always negotiated their initial offer and have always gotten a little more out of it.

So, should I attempt to negotiate for a little more? Do you negotiate up from your initial offer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Hi,

I am currently considering a job offer for a senior Java position.

The package contains healthcare, pension contributions and gym membership. The base salary seems pretty competitive too I think.

However... I know of one or two friends in Devlopment that said they have always negotiated their initial offer and have always gotten a little more out of it.

So, should I attempt to negotiate for a little more? Do you negotiate up from your initial offer?

Of course you should look for more, the worse they can say is no.

There is a lot of demand for experienced Java developers at the moment, and resourcing is a big problem for companies as a result. You should use this to your advantage in the same way that the company would if the situation were the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

After doing a little searching on how best to do this I took the plunge today and rang them.

After a brief discussion and the HR person going to talk to others they rang me back and gave me the bump up I was looking for.

Happy days. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

You should always, always negotiate salary. The only concern I'd have is that you were personally identifiable through your signature link in your initial post. The prospective employer could have seen it and known that you would accept the initial offer :)

Advertisement