Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotunda v Coombe semi private -Can't decide!!

Options
  • 19-08-2014 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi! Just got my first bfp! Am 5 weeks along. We are delighted but one thing is wrecking my head is where to go, which hospital in Dublin? I am between semi private in the Rotunda or the Coombe.

I really do not want to be on the clock so to speak during the delivery and want as little medical intervention as possible! (I know that it may not go that way during the actual event but at the moment that's what I'm thinking)

It is so hard to make a decision. I really want to ask friends and family but we want to wait for the 12 week scan to reveal our big news. I have googled the hell out the two hospitals but a lot of the threads on forums are older. I thought I should start my own threads!

The two hospitals are neck and neck with positive and negative stories on each but I think what will sway it is which hospital has the best policy on intervention, which one will let you go as naturally as is safe to do so and is not giving you a set time to give birth. This is why we discounted Holles Street as is seems they only give 12 hours. I read on one thread that the coombe gives 24 hours but cannot find any more info on it and nothing really about the Rotunda.

I also have it in my head that the Rotunda is better for high risk pregnancies is this true? I am 36 so that may be a factor! But have been to the gp and all my bloods came back perfect and he is happy with me so far!

So what do you ladies think? All advice will be greatly received! I really need to get my skates on!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I went to Holles St,I was born there and it was nearest to work.
    Holles st would normally be best for high risk but it depends on what the risk is too.
    If you don't mind sharing a room and shower room after the birth look in to the midwife led options especially if you would like no intervention.
    There is no comparison between the comfort of a private room with your own bath and shower and a room with 5 other people and shared showers but the midwives are great and spend so much tie with you and take an active interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

First of all congratulations, it's such an exciting time!

Are you in the catchment area for Domino scheme with either of those hospitals? If you are after a low-intervention birth then this may be right up your street. I can only speak for the Coombe clinic but the waiting times are non-existent. You will be interviewed to assess your suitability and they'll take it from there. I'm due this weekend so can't tell you a birth story yet but soon enough hopefully! ;)

ETA: also the Domino scheme is free/public which is pretty cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Goldencailin1

Thanks Moonbeam and Cameoette best of luck for this weekend hope it goes well for you!

I don't think a private room is an option for semi private in either hospital just a smaller ward which I won't mind. If I go semi private am I not midwife led anyway and the consultant is just there if things go wrong? Sorry for being naive! Domino is not an option unfortunately.
    I have never put so much research into a decision and still not know what to do argh!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Hi Golden,

You'll be midwife led in the labour ward (unless there is a complication and a Doc needs to be involved) but your antenatal visits will be with the various Doctors on the team you are assigned to. The wait times are about the same. The Coombe has the option of waterbirths now which is a big plus for the kind of birth you're considering. Both have similar induction policies but it seems to be easier to negotiate more time in the Coombe if you go past 10 days without it being a big deal if you and baby are well. The Coombe are very au fait with a 'less is more' approach to birth whenever possible and are very supportive of birth preferences, hypnosis for birth and doulas. Neither are particularly great for breastfeeding support so get yourself to a class and join a bfing mums group before your baby arrives so you've lots of support and good information available to you early on.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Goldencailin1

Thanks a million SanFran that's the type of information that I was looking for. I wonder if anyone knows if the rotunda are the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Are you sure that 12 hour thing with holles street is true? I know two girls who were in the hospital for a good 24 hours in labour and neither had a c section. One baby was facing the wrong way around which I think delayed things.
    And actually I was in holles street too but did domino and they try everything safely before giving you section. I never felt rushed tbh in fact I would of taken a section because I was in labour for 22hours

I am sure all three are as good as each other, go whichever is handier for you as you will have to waddle in for your appointments when you are heavily preggers

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

Hi congratulations! !
    I have no experience of the coombe but my sister in law had her little girl there and hated it. She was semi private but they put her in public ward she had a really tough labour and she felt after care was terrible but they wouldn't let her leave after 3 days when she wanted even though they weren't treating her as such she was much better when she got home.

I had my little one in the rotunda a few weeks ago and was delighted with the care I recieved. I was in the semi private lilly ward 3 beds to a ward. Midwifes were lovely (bar one lol)and I found they were quite supportive and informative re breast feeding. I had a planned section for various reasons so can't give any info about intervention but I felt I was in good hands through out my care! Also I left after 3 days and cause of section the midwifes visited me for 3 days at home through early release scheme was great for all those little questions you have in the first days at home!

Good luck

Advertisement