Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat LC Subject Advice

Options
  • 19-08-2014 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi guys, I've decided to repeat the Leaving Cert next year with the hopes of getting Medicine. Missed it by 5 (adjusted) points. Didn't work hard enough last year and came out with 555. Only scored 165 in the hpat so realistically need to get as close to 625 in points as possible. I would like to take up a new subject for the year but am unsure which one would be the best option for me. I'm considering either Accountancy or Applied Maths at the moment. Just wondering from people who have experience with repeating or these subjects how doable they are in a year, the workload to get an A1 and the actual paper etc. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated aswell :) Thanks a mil everyone!

The subjects I did this year were:
    English OL
    Irish OL
    Maths HL
    French HL
    Biology HL
    Chemistry HL
    Physics HL
    Ag Science HL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Your leaving cert is ok . I wouldn't repeat it tbh.
    I'd repeat the hpat as 165 isn't regarded as a high score .
    If you could score 180 then your leaving cert would be ok.
    Did you get any offers or could you defer an offer ? Or are you decided on repeating leaving cert ?
    Hpat scores often increase on the second attempt .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Your leaving cert is ok . I wouldn't repeat it tbh.
    I'd repeat the hpat as 165 isn't regarded as a high score .
    If you could score 180 then your leaving cert would be ok.
    Did you get any offers or could you defer an offer ? Or are you decided on repeating leaving cert ?
    Hpat scores often increase on the second attempt .

Thanks :) I got offered Science in Trinity but may get offered Human Genetics in 2nd round offers seen as I'm only 5 points below. I've considered the grad route but don't think I'm prepared to spend 4 years in another course and then the €65000 of fees after that.
    I'd love to not have to repeat but not sure if it's worth the risk seen as I could go down in the hpat just as easily as I could go up.. And if that happens I've wasted a year for nothing :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Damn fees are really high in college cant imagine myself forking out €10,000 a year but well we all have to :/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

What were your grades this year- I know they were good when you got 555, but if you're repeating you'll still have to keep English and Irish on with 6 others including Maths and French, so are you going to drop one of the current list.

Phys/Chem/Bio/Ag?

Even on a repeat year 9 subjects seems like a crazy workload along with the HPAT

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,169 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just make sure you're covering the prescribed works for the English and Irish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement