Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Hard Drive Advice?

Options
  • 19-08-2014 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi all..I need some advice. My laptop hard drive died suddenly and I need a replacement. I have decided that SSD drives are just too expensive but where does that leave me? I was thinking something along the lines of 500gb+, 7200rpm maybe but I really don't know...

Can a fellow boardie advise what and where?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

How much storage space do you need? For internal laptop space you should really go with an SSD. It will massively improve the performance of your laptop.

If you need large storage space use an external HDD.

€63 for 120GB is not bad.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT128MX100SSD1-128GB-Includes-Adapter/dp/B00KFAGD88/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1408449137&sr=8-3&keywords=crucial+mx100

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ordin73

Thank you for the reply BLOODBATH :) I agree the SSD drives are the way to go but I was thinking of at least 500 GB so that would make them too expensive. I was hoping there is a standard or hybrid that some one could recommend ... There are a lot out there to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No problem.

Seagate do a hybrid 2.5" SSHDD that has 2GB of built in SSD cache but afaik the 2.5" version is only 5400rpm. The 3.5" desktop version is 7200rpm.

It will be faster than a 7200 in some situations but slower than a 7200rpm drive in others and only after the data is cached.

Would 256gb do? Good deal on pixmania.

http://www.pixmania.ie/solid-state-drive-ssd/crucial-mx100-256-gb-internal-ssd/22155170-a.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Have you ever used an SSD, out of interest? I just ask, because I use SSDs in everything now, and I have to use machines with mechanical drives in them now and then. I'm never going back. I would trade a 1TB mechanical drive for a 250GB SSD in a heartbeat. Absolutely zero questions asked. They're that good. Hell, even a 120GB drive.

• Advertisement

Honestly I have no experience with a SSD drives at all :(
    Is there really THAT much of a difference???

The only reason I am even looking at hard drives is because mine gave up :mad:

My laptop is just over 2years old and has ok specs with 8gb ram, i5 Core and a Nvidia GeForce GT 555M graphics card with 2GB DDR3 dedicated memory. I use it for web & graphic design,photography and playing games when I can, so memory has become a big issue.
    Having to rely on a external hard drive seems like being back tied to a desktop PC with regards mobility or am I wrong???

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

ssd are the biz. just get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

You can replace the disc drive in many laptops with a hard drive caddy, best of both worlds! Get a small ssd for programs and os, and larger mech drive can go in the caddy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Ordin73 wrote: »
    Honestly I have no experience with a SSD drives at all :(
    Is there really THAT much of a difference???

The only reason I am even looking at hard drives is because mine gave up :mad:

My laptop is just over 2years old and has ok specs with 8gb ram, i5 Core and a Nvidia GeForce GT 555M graphics card with 2GB DDR3 dedicated memory. I use it for web & graphic design,photography and playing games when I can, so memory has become a big issue.
    Having to rely on a external hard drive seems like being back tied to a desktop PC with regards mobility or am I wrong???

In my opinion you should be heavily relying on an external if you're doing graphic design and photography if nothing but for regular back ups.

If the harddrive is corrupted or the laptop stolen thats ALL your work lost. Most photographers / video editors carry small portable 1TB externals with them.

The speed boost the SSD will give you will far outweigh the potential capacity lost

papu wrote: »
    In my opinion you should be heavily relying on an external if you're doing graphic design and photography if nothing but for regular back ups.

You are prob absolutely right Papu, I myself was advising a new photographer about the importance of backing up work only yesterday..so I SHOULD take my own advice lol..

Right guys I'm convinced :D!! one last question.. when buying a SSD drive for a laptop, is a holder/caddy or what ever its called needed and/or is it bought as part of pack or ordered separately ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

They're the same size as regular hard drives, so you won't need any adapters or anything like that. You will however need an adapter (or just make something up yourself out of cardboard) if you want to replace your DVD drive with a hard drive.

Thank you Serephucus, for what ever reason it had not even dawned on me to replace my dvd drive Dah :(

More proof, as if I needed it, why its great to discuss things on boards lol

Thanks again to everyone for all the advice!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I have SSD in my laptop and all my storage external. But get drive that has good reputation online.

The only reason not to get a SSD is if you don't want to carry a separate external drive. You're travelling a lot etc.

Even then the fast on/off speeds will make you want a SSD.

Advertisement