Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Routes in Rosslare

Options
  • 19-08-2014 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice. I'm heading to Rosslare for a week this weekend. I am also coming close to the peak of my training for Berlin Marathon. While down there I need to do a 20mile run on Sunday, just wondering if any of ye know of a nice route (I'm staying in St. Helen's Bay but I'm happy to travel a short distance to begin a nice course) also ideally I would like to finish the run at the sea so I can go straight in. Grateful if you have any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice. I'm heading to Rosslare for a week this weekend. I am also coming close to the peak of my training for Berlin Marathon. While down there I need to do a 20mile run on Sunday, just wondering if any of ye know of a nice route (I'm staying in St. Helen's Bay but I'm happy to travel a short distance to begin a nice course) also ideally I would like to finish the run at the sea so I can go straight in. Grateful if you have any ideas

N11 is an option, but wont finish by the sea unless you come into the strand and go via beach to the harbour, not sure if this can be done these days!

I run the N11 when in Wexford Town, nothing exciting though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hi jmcc99_98,

I'm originally from Rosslare but living in Westmeath and it's shocking how spoilt we are up here with the canal and it's endless miles of safe running. Lots of narrow roads in Wexford with no verges so can be dodgy to run on.

TBH the N11 towards Wexford and back is probably your safest option, maybe park close to a beach and start there or drive to Rosslare Strand, park in the main Beach Car Park (opp. Centra) and start and finish there. Not an exciting or scenic route by any means but at least you have some security with the hard shoulder on the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Sandwell

A run that I like to do starts at the car park on Rosslare Strand and continues north up the strand until you run out of beach and meet a road that brings you back to where you started. It's probably only about five miles but over half of it is off-road and the rest is on a very quiet back road. Might be something you could tie in with a longer loop and it allows you to finish by the beach.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Go out of the strand directly over the railway bridge, road veers left, then on to a roundabout, go right for wexford, all the way up to the main rosslare road. Turn left on the main road towards the harbour. Big long straight road, then take a left in tagoat. This road brings you back to the strand, youll come to the roundabout you met on the way out. (A right turn maybe 200m before this brings you down to the strand also). Youd go straight through the roundabout to go back the way you came, but if you then went straight at Boggans shop instead of following the road around, it will bring you to the other end of the strand road.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

pointer28 wrote:
    I'm originally from Rosslare but living in Westmeath and it's shocking how spoilt we are up here with the canal and it's endless miles of safe running. Lots of narrow roads in Wexford with no verges so can be dodgy to run on.

Thanks @pointer28, yeah I live in Mullingar so spend a lot of time on the canal line.

I suspect I will just do an out and back along the main road. I'm staying in Rosslare Harbour so might also turn left at tagoat and run towards Lady's Island, road is a bit narrow but will be a break from the monotony of the n11, a few hills too.

Thanks again

• Advertisement

I did 18km there last weekend. I ran from the burrows up to grange road, then up to the N25 and up to the roundabout and turned left at the roundabout and kept on up to the turn for cairn beach, you could keep going to the harbour to increase your distance. And that point, rather than take the road from tagoat back to the strand, I turned and ran back the way I came.

It's not the best of places to run tbh. A run out toward Kilmore Quay might be nice but I'm too nervous of oncoming traffic on some of the smaller roads.

Advertisement