Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission for Food Business

Options
  • 18-08-2014 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi there, I'm currently in the planning phase of opening my own coffee shop and am unsure about the planning permission issue on commercial premises. I understand that premises require food planning permission but I have come across some great properties which would require a change of use. I understand this process can take approx. 12 weeks to go through but my question is...Do you know what issues/areas are of the most importance when seeking FPP? I don't mind going through the planning process if required but I'd like to know which properties I would have the best chance of success with. What should I look for/look to avoid when seeking the right premises? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Jontronix wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm currently in the planning phase of opening my own coffee shop and am unsure about the planning permission issue on commercial premises. I understand that premises require food planning permission but I have come across some great properties which would require a change of use. I understand this process can take approx. 12 weeks to go through but my question is...Do you know what issues/areas are of the most importance when seeking FPP? I don't mind going through the planning process if required but I'd like to know which properties I would have the best chance of success with. What should I look for/look to avoid when seeking the right premises? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Speak to the local planning office, the number will be on your council's website. They can guide you in what the criteria might be. The type of building(s), how many cafés in the locality, distance from monuments like churches. There is no hard and fast rules

However, once you apply, the chances of success are at the whim of the planners.

So, before you sign any lease, make sure it's subject to planning change consent. Some landlords/agents are reluctant to wait the twelve or more weeks without rent while you apply for planning consent.

There are planning consultants/architects out there who will be able to help you get consent but no guarantee and charge you regardless of the outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

There is a way around planning.
    A coffee shop in a garden centre or in a department store.

If the coffee shop is ancillary to the main business of the premises, then planning is not required. This was tested with bord pleannala in a test case in Galway 2 years ago and they sided with the garden centre. - Once no cooking was involved (heating was ok), it was considered a coffee shop and not a restaurant and as the area was less than 20% of the retail footprint, it was considered to be an ancillary business

So another option would be to look for a large store or garden centre that would benefit from a coffee shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jontronix

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    would I be right in assuming that the planning authority are more concerned with the impact a food business will have on the area rather than the physical building requirements? Is it more the local health and safety official who will request certain building layouts/designs?

Does the plan to cook or just "heat" food have affect on normal planning applications or does it only come into effect when operating in another business premises?

Does the plan to cook or just "heat" food have affect on normal planning applications or does it only come into effect when operating in another business premises?

Huge difference. You can heat food up in most locations, but if you want to cook you need access to an outside wall for ventilation (you know those big silver pipes/boxes you see outside restaurants). Complete different planning process and cost.

Are you hoping to serve alcohol? That's another minefield that you'll need a solicitor to help sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jontronix

I'm not concerned about alcohol starting up but depending on location I had considered the possibility of an evening offering which would have to include alcohol. I talked to a solicitor a while back when I first start looking into this but I will arrange a meeting now that I have more specific queries.

so do u think if I had a coffee shop selling hot drinks, cakes and heated soups & sandwiches then I might not need to obtain food planning permission at all?

• Advertisement

I'm not concerned about alcohol starting up but depending on location I had considered the possibility of an evening offering which would have to include alcohol. I talked to a solicitor a while back when I first start looking into this but I will arrange a meeting now that I have more specific queries.

so do u think if I had a coffee shop selling hot drinks, cakes and heated soups & sandwiches then I might not need to obtain food planning permission at all?

You will probably need planning change consent but not as difficult as for a restaurant. Talk to your solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    would I be right in assuming that the planning authority are more concerned with the impact a food business will have on the area rather than the physical building requirements? Is it more the local health and safety official who will request certain building layouts/designs?

The planning authority will just see if a cafe is suitable for the area. Parking will be one of the main issues as will proximity of other cafes.

A competitor can appeal the decision too, so it will take about 9 months before planning is fully granted - 5-6 is no appeal is lodged (expect an appeal)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tahir1

Hi there, I'm currently in the planning phase of opening my own restaurant and am unsure about the planning permission issue and the architecture charge on commercial premises. I understand that premises require a change of use and fire cert and disability access, I have found architecture and he agreed to work for us for 11,500 thousand euro to complete the entire process (change of use, Fire cert, DAC). however now he asking for few thousand more that he has to do the flood report, but he never mentioned in the first place that I have to pay him more based in a quote he gives it to me.

please, can anyone help me where I can go to get the right information just can't offer to pay more:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Tahir1 wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm currently in the planning phase of opening my own restaurant and am unsure about the planning permission issue and the architecture charge on commercial premises. I understand that premises require a change of use and fire cert and disability access, I have found architecture and he agreed to work for us for 11,500 thousand euro to complete the entire process (change of use, Fire cert, DAC). however now he asking for few thousand more that he has to do the flood report, but he never mentioned in the first place that I have to pay him more based in a quote he gives it to me.

please, can anyone help me where I can go to get the right information just can't offer to pay more:(

you are being ripped off - get a quote from someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dinny76

Arch charged me 1000 + vat for DAC and fire cert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Tahir1

Dinny76 wrote: »
    Arch charged me 1000 + vat for DAC and fire cert

would be possible just give the name of the arch company. that would be big help.

thanks Dinny76

Advertisement